How to partition an external 1.4 terabytes hard dr

nerawan 09:40 08 Nov 2010

Hi. I got a few months ago I got an external hard drive (1.5 TB). Now I want to partition it but I have Partition Magic 8.0 and it doesn't allow me.Any other program available in the web. Thanks for any info.

Give this freebie a try

click here

johndrew 10:13 08 Nov 2010

You should be able to use Windows to do this.
Firstly plug the external HDD in and allow it to power up. Go to 'Start/Control Panel/Computer Management/Disk Management' and identify the drive right click on it and select 'Format'; follow the instructions.

It will take some time with a drive of this size and you will need to format each partition created.

Another option would be to use such as Acronis True Image.

Batch 10:26 08 Nov 2010

Out of interest, what is it about Partition Magic 8 that doesn't allow you to partition? Is PM8 unable to handle such a large drive or ......??

rawprawn 10:36 08 Nov 2010

Download Free Easus Parclick here Master

rawprawn 10:39 08 Nov 2010

Sorry click here scroll down to Easus Partition Master free

xania 13:36 08 Nov 2010

I think PM8 has trouble seeing HHD that are not formatted, but I got away with just formatting a small part of the whole drive. However, IMHO, PM8 is well past its best ever since being taken over by Symantec. I've nowdropped in in favour of Acronis EXCEPT where I want to partition something withou going into windows where the PM8 install disk is an excellent boot media straight into itself or dos.

nerawan 18:24 08 Nov 2010

thanks for the answers. I will try these days when I have time. I have already used 160 gygas (movies) so I can't format it now.

Batch asks out of curiosity.....I have use PM8 for about 6-7 years when external HD were not in use and HD were small in size compared to today sizes so I think PM8 could be out of date for theses actions. It sees my 2 HD(internal and external) and marks the External as BAD.

nerawan 18:35 08 Nov 2010

Hi John Drew. Now out of curiosity....If using Disk Managment necessarily The Hard Drive has to be Formatted first because I went there and the only options are Format and Delete partition. Not option for creating new partitions.

nerawan 19:04 08 Nov 2010

it doesn't give me the option to CREATE a new partition. This option appears GREY. There is another option RESIZE but I don't think that is the secure option.

rawprawn 09:57 09 Nov 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?