how to partition a dirve on vista?

zincy 10:59 28 Dec 2007

Hi there

I recently brought a computer with vista on it. My problem is that the hard drive is in raid 0 with the following: C: BOOT DRIVE = 916GB D: RECOVERY 15GB. My concern is that if i ever needed to use the recovery system will it delete all on C drive? As you can see its 916GB is there a way to make it smaller if recovery does delete everything? I usually have the Operating system on like 20GB but not sure how to do it in Vista?

zincy

zincy 13:24 28 Dec 2007

I have not managed to spilt the drive (916GB) into two. But it will not let me go further with this as it says i have to chnage the page file settings?

Ideally i want the hard drive to be spilt into 25GB , 70 GB , and then the rest of it

zincy

Jim_F 15:22 28 Dec 2007

Using disk management (right click 'computer' and then 'Manage') you should be able to shrink the partition and then create a new partition in the space freed up.

If you've used the system much then I'd suggest you clean out any temp files and defrag.

25Gb might be a little tight - my system uses around 24Gb without games installed.

zincy 16:12 28 Dec 2007

hi jim thanks for the advice

but i cant shrink it any more as it says that i need to chnage the snapshot and/or pagefile settings? any idea how to do that? and would that allow me to shrink it further?

Jim_F 17:01 28 Dec 2007

Hi zincy,

I just booted into a trial version of Vista and was able to shrink the C: partition.

The Snapshot is a function of Shadow Copy so this may need to be disabled as you want to change what it backs up (Backup and Restore Centre).

The pagefile could just be in the way - you should be able to reduce this using 'Adjust Appearance and Performance' - Advanced or move it onto the D: partition if there's space.

If you can shrink the partition a little then the problem is likely to be that there's not enough free space at the end of the partition so a defrag could also be needed.

It looks like you're fighting what you're computer manufacturer decided was good for you - so good luck !

zincy 18:51 28 Dec 2007

how do i do the following?

"The Snapshot is a function of Shadow Copy so this may need to be disabled as you want to change what it backs up (Backup and Restore Centre)."

"The pagefile could just be in the way - you should be able to reduce this using 'Adjust Appearance and Performance' - Advanced or move it onto the D: partition if there's space."

I just got Vista so not 100% sure where things are?

thank you jim you been great help, lets hope i can downsize it :)

PC_Qs 19:04 28 Dec 2007

Try this link on how to adjust pagefile.

click here

Jim_F 12:16 30 Dec 2007

Sorry to take a while to get back - the Control Panel menu system in Vista is a little inscrutable but starting from Control Panel Home click the follwoing links/tabs/buttons:

To get Shadow Copy out of the way:
1) Control Panel - System and Maintenance - Backup and Restore Centre - Change Settings - Turn Automatic Backup Off

To downsize or move the Pagefile:
1) Control Panel - System and Maintenance - System - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - Performance Settings - Advanced - Virtual Memory(Change)

Then you have the option to set a custom page file size on C: or no Pageing file on C: but permit one on D: - the link in the last post is from XP but when you've got through the menues the options are the same.

If all this still doesn't let you shrink the partition as much as you want then the issue may be that file have been written towards the end of the partition and you need the Vista or a third party defrag tool to move them - I'm not sure how good the Vista defrag tool is at doing this.

zincy 15:28 05 Jan 2008

sorry jim i didnt see your response

i will try and defrag the drive seee if this works
i manage to shrink it further though albeit 3000mb :)

zincy 15:30 05 Jan 2008

not sure if this affects anything or not but my hard drives are in RAID 0 as well?

zincy 15:34 05 Jan 2008

Ideally i would liek to disable RAID as i dont really fancy losing all my stuff if one drive fails, is there a way to remove RAID -0?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?