How an online scam could run up your phone bill

Lozzy 20:51 05 Oct 2003

click here

Please PARENTS be aware..

Lozzy 21:06 05 Oct 2003

It works like this: The site asks you to download a small applet containing the dialler. Once loaded on your system, the applet disconnects your ISP service and dials the pay-per-view site. You are then charged for however many minutes you remain connected to the site. The fact that you downloaded and installed the app is considered consent for the telephone charges.

The problem is that sometimes diallers are installed on your system without your consent, and change your dial-up settings to call expensive long-distance numbers. This scam is usually perpetrated by fraudulent companies that set up sites full of ActiveX multimedia content. Should you visit the site or click a pop-up ad for the site, the dialler would be downloaded onto your system along with the rest of the site's content. The only possible clue this has happened to you is the appearance of pop-up ads from sites you don't use; the real proof is the extra charges on your next phone bill.

powerless 21:08 05 Oct 2003

Broadbanders need not to worry.

graham√ 21:11 05 Oct 2003

Broadbanders need not to worry.

Unless they have a 56k modem connected to a phone line.

powerless 21:13 05 Oct 2003

56K modem?

Lozzy 21:14 05 Oct 2003

How many Broadband users have kept their phone lines plugged into the PC and wall?? Quite a few I would wager.. SO BE AWARE

powerless 21:15 05 Oct 2003

Not me Lozzy.

Lozzy 21:16 05 Oct 2003

Congrats

Q-Bie 21:27 05 Oct 2003

Just make sure your ActiveX security settings are set to prompt you to install software (to stop so called drive-by-downloaders).

When I do healthcheck's on pc's at PCW, all too often we find lots of spyware and diallers on pc's, because most people when presented with things, will just click "yes".

Yet there are the same people who let the windows automatic update just sit there telling them "there are new updates to install" and not bothering, so they get msblast on their pc ;)

Just run Spybot to remove these diallers and plenty of other nasties.

click here

fitshase 21:40 05 Oct 2003

Another ways is to block outgoing premium rate calls from your phone. Call your phone provider and ask them to set it up. That way, if you do download a dialler, it will not connect to the number and you will then notice that you cannot get online because the number is barred.

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?