How often to backup?

Matt.tt 12:05 30 Sep 2007

Hi there, This may seam a stupid question, but i cannot decide on an answer and wanted some opinions.

I run a windows 2000 advanced server. I have got mostly the enitre thing being backup everynight. But I have only got enough HDD space for one backup!, So my backups only go back one day.

Do you think I should chnage this to a weekly backup or something untill I can get more disk space?

Cheers

rawprawn 12:17 30 Sep 2007

I would suggest buying an external drive.

Matt.tt 12:19 30 Sep 2007

ok..yes, that is a good idea..I will look into this. Thank you.

tullie 12:25 30 Sep 2007

Why back up so often unless its to backup very important super duper vital files that youve just created?To be honest,i never back up,i havent got anything thats that important.

DieSse 12:27 30 Sep 2007

If this is a commercial system, or any other with vital information on - the professional way is to maintain three generations of backups.

Preferably the backups should be on removable media (external hard drive possibly), each should be on separate media - and should be kept in a secure place away from the system (in case of fire, theft, etc.

In such a case the last thing you should do is lessen the frequency of backups.

Matt.tt 12:36 30 Sep 2007

Thanks everyone, this is useful Information.

The system is currently only for home use. But I am expanding it to cater for two companies over the next few weeks.

Matt.tt 12:37 30 Sep 2007

I will purcahce a big extrernal drive, and backup three generations then.

Many Thanks all.

€dstowe 13:31 30 Sep 2007

Not having a backup is very unwise - even if you don't think you have anything important on your machine.

Do you, or will you, enjoy re-installing your computer system by hand (over a period of several hours/days) to get something resembling your computer as it is now? Or would you prefer to get it up and going again, exactly as it was, in about 20 - 30 minutes by using a backup?

Graham. 14:55 30 Sep 2007
  Matt.tt 18:22 02 Oct 2007

Thanks Graham, this is useful :)

Matt.tt 18:22 02 Oct 2007

Thanks Graham, this is useful :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?