How to obtain a TCP/ IP address

2stroketim 13:19 22 Feb 2009

Hi,

I have a Dell 610 and a compaq presario both using XP. The compaq acceses the internet ok however the dell connects to my network but not to the internet (usual window message displayed - page cannot be displayed).

From what I can see all the settings on both laptops are the same. tcp/ip is set to obtain automatically however I've just noticed that typing ipconfig on the compaq is 192.168.1.1 but on the dell it's all zero's. That's obviously the problem but how do I get round this ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:31 22 Feb 2009

IE tools - options - connections tab - Lan settings - tick automatically detect settings - click OK

2stroketim 13:52 22 Feb 2009

Hi, fruit bat, checked this - already ticked

brundle 14:01 22 Feb 2009

Router make and model or whether you're using Internet Connection Sharing, wired or wireless, is DHCP enabled on the Dell?. Usually 192.168.1.1 will be your gateway address, not the address actually assigned to the machine (unless you are using ICS).
Paste the first few lines of the ipconfig output from the problem machine in a post - use the command

ipconfig /all

Need to see IP address, gateway address, DHCP Enabled Yes/No, DHCP server

mgmcc 14:03 22 Feb 2009

Open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the relevant network adapter (Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select "Properties". Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. Ensure that both the IP and DNS sections are set to get their addresses automatically.

If this is OK, go to "Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK. In the Services window that opens, check that the "DHCP Client" service is "Started" and that its Startup Type is set to "Automatic". If necessary, double click the service to open its Properties and change the settings.

2stroketim 14:31 22 Feb 2009

Hi Brundle...using wireless and DHCP is enabled
1st few lines from ipconfig /all

Node type………………..…broadcast
IP routing enabled………….no
Wins proxy enabled………..no
DHCP enabled……………..Yes
IP address…………………..0.0.0.0
Subnet mask………………..0.0.0.0
DHCP server……………….255.255.255.255

MGMCC....Ensure that both the IP and DNS sections are set to get their addresses automatically. - confirmed both set to automatic

DHCP Client" service is "Started" and that its Startup Type is set to "Automatic".
confirmed both set to automatic

brundle 14:50 22 Feb 2009

Any luck if you connect router and PC with a cable? The PC isn't connecting with the router at all at the moment. Double check the IP address on the Compaq.

bremner 15:06 22 Feb 2009

How are you connecting to the router. wired or wireless?

2stroketim 15:30 22 Feb 2009

Hi, still the same whether I use cable or wireless
I know it's a bit extreme but was wondering if I formatted the h/d and did a fresh install - as there is nothing saved just used a a spare back up ?

brundle 15:33 22 Feb 2009

Seems rather drastic, but nothing stopping you.

bremner 15:37 22 Feb 2009

I am confused when in your initial post you say

"the dell connects to my network but not to the internet"

You are not getting an IP address from the router so how are you connecting to your network?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?