how to network at work

jonostar 20:33 10 Jan 2007

equipment: 2 pc, 2 laptops . a bt 250wire modem.

would like to network both the pc's. at moment one is connected wireless to the modem, the other is connected ethernet to modem. would like to be able to file share between the pc in office . also would like to be able for both pc to use printer without masses of cables as is only a small office space,,

and if poss?

also have 2 laptop wireless enabled and could these eb put on to the networks .. how can i do this.. anyhelp would eb much appreciated as i am at a loss

many thanks craig...

mgmcc 09:24 11 Jan 2007

Presumably the PCs are connected to a combined *ROUTER* and Modem? If so, and if they have simultaneous internet access, they are already networked.

All PCs should be in the *same* Workgroup. Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared", by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. At least one folder should be set as shared in each PC in the network. Any firewall software will need to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

To set up a "shared" printer:

1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here

mgmcc 09:26 11 Jan 2007

<<< also have 2 laptop wireless enabled and could these eb put on to the networks .. how can i do this.. >>>

They simply "Connect" to the wireless network. In other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

jonostar 10:27 11 Jan 2007

thankypu for help .. one other issue..someone else that has wireless capability within the building will not be able to access our computers and damage the files?? we are security incrypted , just wondering wether this will change?
thanks..

jonostar 11:21 11 Jan 2007

have done as instructed,, i have folders on mydesktop that can be shared.. how do i share them..

i have put the ip adds into norton

have used windows net work wizard etc..

mgmcc 19:53 11 Jan 2007

<<< someone else that has wireless capability within the building will not be able to access our computers and damage the files?? we are security incrypted >>>

If you have enabled WPA encryption (which is more secure than WEP), it is only possible to connect to the wireless network by first entering the encryption key.

<<< i have folders on mydesktop that can be shared.. how do i share them..>>>

The folders don't need to be on the Desktop in particular. It might be better to create a folder specifically for the purpose in the root of "C" drive and share that, then the shared folders are not part of *your* personal "Documents & Settings" within Windows XP.

To "share" a folder, right click it and select Sharing & Security option. A Properties sheet opens in which you can tick the box "Share this folder on the network", allocate a "Share Name" by which it will be identified over the network and, optionally, also tick the box "Allow network users to change my files".

jonostar 15:24 12 Jan 2007

thanks for help .. still struggling with printer stuff..
but comps are networked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?