How much XP

gudda96 18:15 24 Mar 2005

My friend wants to buy and install XP.

How much is best price out there and where.
Can he install over ME easily.
I have the disk which came with my new system, can I use that.

Arnie 18:48 24 Mar 2005

Hello gudda96.

First of all with one user license you can only install XP on one computer. You then register that copy.

It is likely that the disk you have may be a restore disk. (You do not say what it is). If so, this will only restore to a factory setting, the computer for which it was intended.

If your friend purchases a copy of XP Home and he has Me installed, he only needs XP Home upgrade.

If you clean install XP, it will ask you to insert your original copy of Me for verification.

Arnie.

Arnie 18:54 24 Mar 2005

I forgot to mention, a genuine retail XP Upgrade copy is around £85 to £90.

Arnie.

gudda96 22:17 24 Mar 2005

Hi Arnie

firstly my disk, I upgraded my processor from a shop and they installed xp. I have disk and it says on it "for distribution with a new pc only" and I have a label stuck on processor as said on disk.

Are you saying that if my friend has ME installed,as he has from new from same shop, he only buys an upgrade. Do you mean upgrade of ME or XP as it does not sound right.

Probably my dimness but surely next step must be full XP home to replace me??

VoG II 22:19 24 Mar 2005

No he can buy an upgrade disk and do either an iver the top installation or a clean install with it. Assuming of course that he has a genuine ME disk.

EdFrench 22:35 24 Mar 2005

What VoG means is that you can upgrade ME to XP (home)with and upgrade disk - which is cheaper than a full version of XP.
You will however, need the original ME disk as the upgrade will ask for it during installation.

Arnie 00:48 25 Mar 2005

VoG™ and EdFrench have answered your question for me.
Thanks to you both.

What I should have said to make things clearer was:

If your friend has the Me installation disk, he only needs to buy the XP Home upgrade. You will be asked to insert your original copy of Me for verification.
I'm sorry I put it in a rather obtuse way.

Also, as I did mention. You cannot install and register your copy of XP both on your friend's computer and on your computer.

Arnie.

gudda96 08:29 25 Mar 2005

Thank you all for your answers and clarification.

I am sure thast the shop that supplied and fitted his pc will have given him the original ME cd but I will check.

goonerbill © ® 09:22 25 Mar 2005

if you or your friend feel confident enough to install xp on the pc yourselfs, ebay will be a good place to look, picked up winxp pro with key and coa for less than £40 including p&p (new, unregistered)

gudda96 09:49 25 Mar 2005

Goonerbill

No probs installing it but how safe to buy it on eb and what precautions does one take to ensure its the right disk with key, which makes it legit I assume?

Arnie 21:05 25 Mar 2005

The only real way of checking the legitimacy of XP is to buy from a well known and trusted source.

When you physically examine the disk, it will have a hologram embedded on the front of the disk.

If one buys a copy in good faith, believed to be genuine and it turns out otherwise. Microsoft has been known to exchange the copy for a genuine one, free of charge.

Arnie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?