How much would I get for this PC?

Chris_ 10:41 28 Oct 2007

I will be selling this PC to a family member shortly, but don't know how much to ask for it.

It's only ever been used for browsing the net, emailing, listening to bits of music (general home user), and that's all it will continue to be used for when it's sold.

I have looked after it well, both inside and out.

There is an image here:click here

AMD Athlon XP 2700 2.16GHz
Windows XP SP2
2048MB RAM
120GB Hard drive
DVD RW
15" monitor
Microsoft Keyboard with integrated fingerprint reader
Microsoft wireless optical mouse

crosstrainer 10:46 28 Oct 2007

Worn out phrase I'm afraid, It looks tidy and well kept, but it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay. The machine is not economically upgradeable, so as you say, it does what it does til it dies!

Would make a good machine for a university student (mature...'cause youngsters want bells and whistles), but I frequently purchase job lots of machines like this at trade auctions for refurb and resale. I would expect to pay no more than 90-100 quid!

Totally-braindead 10:54 28 Oct 2007

I dread people asking this. You can get a brand new machine with a 15" monitor from the likes of Dell for £300 so how much is yours worth?
Maybe £100-150. Sorry.
My computers a 3500+ and I don't think I'd get more than £150-200 for mine, if I got £200 I think I would be lucky. Its the price you can get a new PC for thats the problem. And with a new PC you get at least a one year guarantee.
You could try for £200 and see what happens as its by no means an ancient computer and would run most things perfectly.

crosstrainer 10:57 28 Oct 2007

Have a university near you perhaps they have a for sale bulletin board you could stick a card on?

"Microsoft Keyboard with integrated fingerprint reader" never seen one of those!

Clapton is God 12:22 28 Oct 2007

I know a charity which will take it off your hands for nothing.

It can then be cannibalised to repair other PCs

MrBen CI:-) 12:28 28 Oct 2007

Put an add in your local paper?

spuds 13:16 28 Oct 2007

Try a browse in eBay or Micromart magazine, they may offer some guidance. The other alternative is to contact a local recycling organisation n your area, if you have one.They may offer some advice or guidance. Like crosstrainer, I can pick up fairly cheap computer systems from auction or bankruptcy sales.

On that particular specification and condition, I would possible seek £150.00 with the thoughts of a lower price to about £100/£110 if possible.
One point worth considering is selling to family. They might want a free lifetime warranty and custom-care arrangement ;o)

Totally-braindead 13:43 28 Oct 2007

spuds is right about offering it to a family member. I've done that but as he says it means giving them a lifetime warranty as they seem to expect that.

RockDockDud 18:10 28 Oct 2007

"I will be selling this PC to a family member shortly, but don't know how much to ask for it."

I think the guides suggested so far are about right £100-150
If you were not selling to family member,probably get the top end on ebay,particularly running up to xmas

Chris_ 19:41 28 Oct 2007

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

Selling it elsewhere would probably be too much hassle, I don't have any boxes or anything to transport it. So I'm content with it going to family (I'm already their lifetime engineer anyway!).

Based on the advice & figures that you've given me, I'll probably ask for £130.

Appreciate the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?