How Much Will I get for my Current System?

RobCharles1981 15:41 12 Mar 2007

Hi All

I'm intending to go up to AM2 and at the moment I got this Mobo click here

And the CPU I have is the AMD 64 3800 2.4 Gig and 2 Gig of Ram Dual Channel 3200 and 400's

How much do you think I will get for these parts if I sold them?

Thanks all

Rob

johndrew 15:49 12 Mar 2007

Bad news I think.

I`m no expert in these matters but from what little i`ve seen of items like this being sold second hand, you are likely to get less than 20% of what you paid. Or to put it another way, don`t spend a great deal in advertising as you may not cover your costs.

RobCharles1981 15:55 12 Mar 2007

Any More users care to comment???

Migwell 16:04 12 Mar 2007

I think johndrew is 100% spot on.

I usualy end up putting all the components in the loft and then if I get enough of various items I put them all back together and make up a computer and give it away to some one less fortunate than me. I feel that it is not worth the hassle advertising as you land up back to the same point (giving it away)

Migwell 16:05 12 Mar 2007

I think johndrew is 100% spot on.

I usualy end up putting all the components in the loft and then if I get enough of various items I put them all back together and make up a computer and give it away to some one less fortunate than me. I feel that it is not worth the hassle advertising as you land up back to the same point (giving it away)

al7478 16:05 12 Mar 2007

Yours is of course a reasonable spec. but in my experience too, you wont make much from selling your old pc. maybe you could think of a friend who is into buildiing, and come to some arrangement with them for your parts...? Or investigate giving it to charity.

Migwell 16:07 12 Mar 2007

OOps PCA Froze for a while hence the double post. Sorry Migwell

skidzy 16:07 12 Mar 2007

As your selling the parts seperate Rob...not a lot,basicaly as Johnandrew has said.

I was in pcworld yesterday buying a E6300 Vista system,and some of the deals they had on AMD systems were very good.This is something to bear in mind.

Do your research on Ebay,that would be the best indicator of the going price.cpu's normally go for a third to half of there true value.

RobCharles1981 16:09 12 Mar 2007

I only had the mobo for a few months mind, looking on the novatech mobo bundles some like my spec sell for a £150 if one is not mistaken!

Stuartli 16:09 12 Mar 2007

Basically what anyone is prepared to pay for them.

A few months ago I bought a used MSI KT6V mobo, an Athlon XP 3200+ and 1GB of DDR memory package from a known source for £100.

At that time the memory cost just about the same price new I paid for the job lot, whilst the Athlon was listed at £80-£85 by e-Bay sellers.

Kate B 16:11 12 Mar 2007

It's a sad fact of geek life that there is very little second-hand value even in good computer parts. If you're feeling altruistic I suggest freecyling your bits.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017