How much for a website & domain names?

Grandee 13:31 05 Jul 2004

I need to value 2 business websites with domain names which are also attached to the sale of a combined residential & commercial property; the greater the sites’ valuation, the new owner pays less in Stamp Duty as the sites are a “moveable asset” apparently, the cost of which can be subtracted from the price of the property.

These sites are just about the only advertising for the (two-man)business & create gross of around £35k p.a. Pre-net era in early 1996 the gross was about £8k p.a. so the web has done us proud!

There are companies that value business sites but they tend to charge mega-bucks so I thought I’d try here first. Any ideas, anyone, please?

Thanks!

Dee

stlucia 13:40 05 Jul 2004

Web sites can be set up for as little as nothing so, unless they have desirable names, I would suggest they are worth nothing per se. An asset value might only be realisable if the web sites are treated as a going concern whereupon, I presume, their value is determined by the net amount of business they pull in.

Grandee 15:04 05 Jul 2004

Thanks, stlucia. The people wanting the sites etc. aren’t at all IT literate & need all the help they can get at first, at nil cost to themselves (that’s where I come in). The sites as they are now are over 40 pages in total, are very high up in search engine listings & have been well established since 1999/2000. They are responsible for 95% of the business; without them it would flop & take another 3 – 4 years to get back up to speed. The domain names are both pretty special, describing what’s on offer – a Google search of one domain name with appropriate spaces and “ … “ fetched 255 hits UK & 301 hits Web. One week I had over 3,900 hits on that site alone – not too bad for a small business site designed with no training or professional help!

My first task as self-imposed webmaster will be to change all the contact details & put in new terms & conditions as required. There’ll be an almost daily requirement to alter part of the site (think up-to-date holiday home vacancies here!) so that’ll take 6 months for a new (not very young) person to get the hang of, I reckon. This has got to be worth something to offset against the physical property price!

Asking the solicitor was a waste of time & the accountant’s gone to Greece for the duration …

TIA!

Dee

stlucia 08:40 06 Jul 2004

Hmm. Sounds like a liability, rather than an asset! Just joking.

'fraid I can't help you any further, but good luck in your search for a buyer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires