How much RAM Dell Inspiron 620

wildhouse 21:38 06 Nov 2014

I am using the 4GB in my Dell Inspiron 620. Their website is impossible to negotiate and I have been unable to find out how much RAM I can have in my computer and they have no option to email them to ask. Can anyone advise how much RAM I can have? Thanks.

SparkyJack 22:26 06 Nov 2014
  1. Crucial will tell you all about the Max RAM. Download the checker.

2.Windows has a maximum the O/S will handle of 4Gb,not matter how much RAM I is installed.

lotvic 22:40 06 Nov 2014

If your op sys is 32bit then it can't use more than 4GB. If your op sys is 64 bit then you can install up to 8GB on your Inspiron 620

Handy specs chart in ClickHere Thread on Dell community

Inspiron 620/620s There are only two DIMM slots. Use 2x of the 4GB to reach the max memory, 8GB

From the setup guide page 61: (added notes in brackets are mine)

Memory module connectors: two user‑accessible connectors (Two slots)

Memory module capacities: 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB (size of RAM module in a single slot)

Memory type: 1333 MHz DDR3 nonECC memory only (type of RAM to buy)

Minimum memory: 1 GB (you can have one 1GB RAM module in one slot and leave the other empty)

Maximum memory: 8 GB (you can have one 4GB RAM module in one slot and another 4GB RAM module in the other one)

Possible memory configurations: 2 GB, 3 GB, 4 GB, 6GB, and 8 GB (possible mixture of RAM module values you can use)

Dell UK website click here

and Enter your Service Tag or Express Service Code (Both product IDs are located on the back or bottom of your device on a label)

or click on Detect My Product

wildhouse 22:53 06 Nov 2014

Thanks for the help. I thought 8gb was the limit. I have a 64 bit system. The Dell website doesn't seem to be working properly at the moment - have been trying to discover what RAM I need but keep getting page not working messages. I suspect I will have to take the case off to see how my RAM is, but hopefully since I started with 4 GB it will be a 4GB module and I will just need to get one new 4GB module.

wildhouse 22:56 06 Nov 2014

Have just looked at the Crucial website - it's going to be fun trying to find out what DDR and Form Factor I have as I have no idea!

wildhouse 23:03 06 Nov 2014

I think it's this one. Dell 4 GB Certified Replacement Memory Module for Select Dell Systems - 2Rx8 UDIMM 1600MHz LV

lotvic 23:29 06 Nov 2014

On the Crucial website, download and run the Checker to scan your system (as per SparkyJack said)

it will 'inspect' your pc and tell you what you have already, how many slots and what choices to buy to upgrade.

On crucial.com If I input Inspiron 620 I get this page of RAM click here

SparkyJack 09:45 07 Nov 2014

Thanks Lotvic for reminding me 64bit allows to 8gb.

SparkyJack 09:45 07 Nov 2014

Thanks Lotvic for reminding me 64bit allows to 8gb.

lotvic 14:19 07 Nov 2014

SparkyJack, and more than 8GB if the motherboard can cope with it :)

SparkyJack 17:00 07 Nov 2014

Ah yes my Lenovo has 16gb,what can I do with it all?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?