how much ram

freakinmano 13:41 22 Nov 2007

how much ram can xp pro 32bit suport

wee eddie 13:52 22 Nov 2007

So I am led to believe

powerless 14:05 22 Nov 2007

It's actually 4GB.

But there are issues around XP [and even Vista] actually addressing all of that 4GB.

Also the mobo has to be able to support 4GB RAM and most do [modern ones at least] if not more.

Pine Man 14:09 22 Nov 2007

BUT...that 4GB has to take account of other system RAM, graphics etc so if you install 4GB your bios will recognise it but your o/s may recognise as little as 3GB.

keno1210 16:37 22 Nov 2007

I posted a question similar a moment ago -
i have 4GB inserted and mines showing as 3GB... so does this mean that extra 1gb is wasted and not used at all by the OS - (mines vista home premium 32bit)

or does it get used for back ground stuff or something - or is it dead so to speak -

if its dead would it be worth removing it and replacing it wqith a 1gb module... my sister needs an upgrade on the ram and takes the same type ram as in mine so the 2gb card wouldnt go to waste...

any help and info is much appreciated!!!! kind regards chris

DieSse 16:56 22 Nov 2007

Essentially what happens is - some of the address space (not the RAM itself, but the addresses of the RAM) is used for other purposes. So neither operating system can talk to that part of the RAM - so it's not used for anything at all.

How much depends on the exact system configuration and chipset.

If integrated graphics are fitted - then some more of the RAM is allocated (and actually used in this case) for graphics.

DieSse 16:59 22 Nov 2007

"if its dead would it be worth removing it and replacing it wqith a 1gb module... my sister needs an upgrade on the ram and takes the same type ram as in mine so the 2gb card wouldnt go to waste..."

As far as I can see, that's correct.

However, if you have dual-channel RAM capability, then you would lose it by not having two identical modules. This would give a speed penalty - this may or may not be significant.

Totally-braindead 17:07 22 Nov 2007

I have to point out that memory is not only dependant on the operating system, 4 gig is the limit true enough for a 32 bit OS but if you have a older PC you might find that the motherboard can only support 2 gig of memory so its sensible to check the motherboard manufacturers website just in case.
If its a new PC I don't think this would be the case only some older PCs but do check.

freakinmano 20:02 22 Nov 2007

so what OS is able to run the 8gb my board is able to pump out.

freakinmano 20:03 22 Nov 2007

and thanx for the help

Totally-braindead 20:12 22 Nov 2007

To answer your question 64 bit XP or Vista can see upto 8 gig I believe and maybe windows server but I'm unsure about that, but there is some issues with 64 bit windows in that it needs 64 bit drivers for everything and the drivers must be Microsoft certified, if the drivers are not Microsoft certified then windows will not allow them to be loaded.
I am unsure if theres other problems as well such as running programs etc and the type of processor supported etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?