How much to post a CPU?

pj123 16:44 12 Jun 2005

I am looking to buy a CPU on Ebay. The postage ranges from about £2.85 standard to £4.25 recorded delivery. I have just put an old CPU in its padded box into a bubble wrap envelope and weighed it on my postal scales. The maximum I can get is "up to 100g" which is 46p. In other words it is over the 60g limit at 30p but below the 100g limit at 46p. Where do these excessive postal costs come from. I have sold many things on Ebay but I always quote postage at cost.

bremner 16:48 12 Jun 2005

I assume they are charging for the packaging and the time spent going to the post office etc

sicknote 16:51 12 Jun 2005

Insurance !!! recorded delivery !!!

click here

pj123 17:04 12 Jun 2005

bremner, costs me nothing. I get plenty of mail in padded envelopes which I keep for resending other stuff. I also generally go past a postbox or post office every day anyway. That can't come to £2.39 surely?

sicknote, Insurance No. I have already said that recorded delivery is £4.25.

bremner 17:16 12 Jun 2005

I am not defending what sellers on eBay do. The fact that you recycle envelopes to keep costs down to your buyers is to be applauded.

However many sellers on eBay are doing so as a business, it is their living and they are looking to make maoney where ever possible.

Just checked Ebuyer (as a comparitor) for one processor - standard delivery £4.79 - what suace for the goose is sauce for the gander I suppose.

leo49 17:27 12 Jun 2005

Some folk aren't so tight and use new padded envelopes!

I agree that some quoted postal charges are excessive but a buyer on Ebay should always include those charges as part of the purchase price when considering an item.

As a seller you are not taking into account the total costs involved:

Cost of initial listing,

Final price commission

Paypal commission,

Stationery cost,

Postage,

Time - every item posted needs a certificate of posting which requires P.O. trips.

If you were involved in volume selling on Ebay all the above factors have to be factored into the charges or you'd be wondering where a chunk of your profit is going.

pj123 17:52 12 Jun 2005

bremner, I agree that lots of sellers are businesses. But they should be making their profits on the product not the postage. I am not a business so I don't need to make a profit. Just using Ebay rather like a bootsale except I don't have to get up early and pack the car etc...

leo49, understand what you are saying. Anything I have put up for auction on Ebay has always taken those points into consideration. There is no point selling something for 99p if it is going to cost £2 to put it up on the site. I always say that postage is extra anyway.

Stuartli 18:03 12 Jun 2005

I always weigh up, when considering similar items (on a Buy Now basis) what is the seller's asking price and the p and p cost involved.

Those who charge a reasonable price usually have equally reasonable p and p costs - those who tempt with low goods prices often have what are excessive delivery and postage charges.

I know who I prefer to deal with. It can also work out to your advantage.

Bought a PSU on this basis the other day (a heavy item to post). It's a 500w model and cost £21 including delivery; those offering much cheaper 400w or 500w models but bumped up p and p charges actually worked out more expensive to buy overall...:-)

pj123 15:02 14 Jun 2005

Sorry to keep this thread still open. I will now weigh up the cost of the item and the postage before I start bidding.

If I think the postage is excessive I won't bid.

Thanks. Ticked.

sicknote 15:06 14 Jun 2005

Don't forget the cost of fuel if you have to drive to the post office !!! :-))

DieSse 15:06 14 Jun 2005

If you wrap CPUs in bubble wrap, you should make sure it's ANTI-STATIC bubblewrap.

Most commercial CPUs come in a manufacturers box - so they don't have to pack it - just wrap and post it.

You should refuse to accept any electronic parts not wrapped appropriately in anti-static packaging. they make work, but fail prematurely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?