How much to overclock nvidia 6600gt

VNAM75 20:14 04 Dec 2007

I want to overclock my card using rivatuner.

My current settings are (3d performance)

core clock: 500
memory clock 1120

The max I can go to using the software is

core clock: 750
memory clock 1680

What would be a safe/stable setting? I have a 480w tagan power supply, amd 3800 cpu and the card has heat pipe cooling.

I'm thinking along the lines of

core clock: 600
memory clock 1400

Would I get a noteable and stable performance increase?

Totally-braindead 20:27 04 Dec 2007

It depends, I assume the graphics card is designed to be overclocked and if so then it might well work perfectly at the settings you propose. Of course the big danger is overheating, if you overclock it will get hotter quicker.
You would just have to try it and see what happens.
It depends on the heatsink and fan on the graphics card being built to take the extra heat and the amount of cooling the case can give IE can it get rid of the hot air quick enough to stop the components from blowing.
And personally if the graphics card is not designed to be overclocked I would not even attempt it - unless you can afford to buy a new one if it goes pop.

citadel 20:33 04 Dec 2007

have a look at the nvidia card forum at guru3d.com there is a all you need to know sticky.

SANTOS7 20:35 04 Dec 2007

6600gt's are good overclockers but i think you are going to need some custom cooling for the setings you want...
click here

info here on what settings you might acheive...

VNAM75 20:57 04 Dec 2007

Thanks. I don't want to add any extra fans. I did look at the nvidia forum and 10% is about the recommended level so about:

cc 550
mc 1220

My proposed figures were way too ambitious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?