How much need I scan for Virus etc

TATHS 15:53 23 Mar 2008

I have a Celeron 2GHz desktop running XP Home with 2GB memory. The C drive (Disk 0) has a capacity of 15gb of which 12gb are currently used. It is devoted to programs, most of which are needed regularly. The D drive is purely for working data and occupies a 19Gb partition on a 200 GB disk (Disk 1) and I back it up daily to a 20GB partition on Disk 0.
I back up the C drive to a 15Gb partition on Disk 1 and currently there is about 100GB free space on this disk. There are two 200GB external disks which I use as mirrored archives for working data, switching folders between the D drive and these as needed.
It takes Norton several hours just to do a weekly full scan of the C & D Drives and it never shows anything.
Is there any way I can cut down on the amount of Norton scanning I do? Should I be routinely checking other drives?

Gongoozler 16:54 23 Mar 2008

Norton presumably checks everything that goes into and out of your computer, so there should be no need for a regular full scan. If you copy a file from a suspect disk, then it's worth checking that before you add anything from it to your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017