how much memory needed?

palinka 19:26 13 Jan 2006

A friend says her mouse is slow and she sometimes has problems shutting down. Someone had suggested it might be caused by spyware but I've suggested some basic steps like: cleaning the mouse; deleting temp internet files & cookies (she ran Adaware before contacting me and found 65 cookies); emptying the recycle bin & deleted files in OE; checking how much "memory hungry" stuff she has on the C drive (eg lots of family pictures); running Disk Cleaner and defrag & finally using Spybot S&D and a2. This list was dictated by fact that I think she has limited experience.
She's now sent me this info-the OS is XP with SP2
Intel Pentium 111 processor ,701 MHz, 512 MB of RAM. Could this spec be partly the cause of her
problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 13 Jan 2006

What op sys? XP?

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

bluto1 20:22 13 Jan 2006

palinka, I`m not sure that extra RAM will help. It`s always good to have as much as you can, but it`s not going to make much difference to shutting down. As long as you`ve done an AV scan, SpyBot and AdAware you should be OK. I`d also try CCleaner. Also there may be programmes running in the background. I`m no expert and I hope someone who is helps out.

palinka 23:08 13 Jan 2006

Thank you both. I had thought the most likely cause of her problems was all sort of gunk acquired over time soI'm waiting to see whether the clean-up that I'd described improved things. Then she wrote listing her PC's spec and I wondered if that in itself looked reasonable; but as bluto1 says we don't know what she has running. Thanks for those sites, Fruit Bat /\0/\; I'll take a look and advise her accordingly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?