How to move folders from one drive to another

ponytail 09:27 24 Oct 2014
Answered

I may have asked this question before but have had a look but cannot see it.I have some folders on one external drive and want to move them to another drive My OS is windows 7 when I used XP there was a option to move folders but cannot see one now can someone advise.Thanks

john bunyan 09:33 24 Oct 2014

As long as they are data (not programme) files you could have both drives plugged in and drag and drop them. Alternatively, highlight them,"copy" then "paste" in the new location, and when happy delete them from the original place.

Batch 09:46 24 Oct 2014

Right click source folder, drag to new location, release mouse key, in pop-up that appears select Move Here.

Alternatively copy the folder across and then delete the original.

ponytail 12:25 24 Oct 2014

What I have done is open windows side by side opened both drives and dragged and dropped from one drive to another.Cannot understand why there is no option to move folders as there was on XP I could just highlight anything I wanted to move and click on move to wherever.It seems very long winded now as you have to do them one at a time.

Batch 14:04 24 Oct 2014

Are you trying to drag multiple folders from the Drive / Folder Tree pane on the left? If that is the case you can only select one at a time.

If you select the drive (or folder) containing the folders to be moved in the Drive / Folder Tree, the contained folders should then be in the right hand pane and you should be able to select multiple folders (and/or folders) and move (or copy) by dragging without problem.

john bunyan 14:36 24 Oct 2014

You could create a "master folder" in the original drive; drag and drop to that, then move the master folder and sub folders as above.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 24 Oct 2014
  wee eddie 20:36 24 Oct 2014

Right Click 》Select "Send to"

beeuuem 21:01 24 Oct 2014

Depending on the folder you wish to move the location can be moved as described in click here

lotvic 21:04 24 Oct 2014
Answer

I used the little .zip file registry hack from howtogeek.com to add to the rightclick menu 'Copy to' and 'Move to'

"There’s a registry hack for Windows that will let you add a Copy To Folder or Move To Folder to the right-click menu, which can be very useful when you want to move a file but don’t have the other folder open already."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?