How to match colors of my Dell monitor from camera to my canon printer

Angelb2 06:17 26 Oct 2013

Hi! I have Windows 7, 2007 publisher, nikon dig camera, Dell inspiron laptop Canon pixma mg2200 and view my images from my camera in windows live gallery. I know all are outdated but I have no money and need to use what I have right now and am trying to figure this out and need your help.

Believe it or not, publisher 2007 is STILL awesome and when I copy the images from my camera (sRGB) to publisher it is high quality pixels as well. So, the problem I am having is that there are clouds in my images sometimes that I want to print accurately. The picture image on my computer matches the camera. What blues in the sky I see on my monitor (the same color as windows live gallery image ok), print out as turquoise and not the blue of the sky in the image. I also note that my text that is supposed to be grey print out kind of beige. I don't have enough money to keep buying print ink (50 dollars for one black and one color) and don't know what to do anyway!

Sometimes the blue in my images print close to the blue, but all have a somewhat turquoise color that is not a true color. My monitor says it is highest res (32 bit all the right things). It is 17 inches and Dell inspiron does not let me go any higher than a standard color.

I also downloaded a profile for the pecos gloss paper and set up the print with it properly. My canon driver says it is from 2006 so I figure this is part of my problem. There is no driver download tho for the pixma 2200 (of course just my luck).

Either way, I am new at all of this. I just need someone to cut through all the hundreds of searches I have performed so I can gratefully go on to print properly. I have no idea how to use the pantone color thingies when I choose the text colors and like I said, the grey text on the monitor prints kind of beige. Please do not tell me to go and try all the hundreds of pantone colors as I don't understand how to do this to match my images to my printer. I have read about 20 forum entries and to no avail for my problem.

Thank you for reading this message and hope someone out there can help me to precisely fix this little problem. Also, I don't know how buying color monkey calibration will assist me as it does not really apply as to how the color on the screen is printing on my printer with the correct paper profile. I did read somewhere in the million and one pages in the last 2 months that if you match the sGBT that is the image property from the camera to the color profiles..but this did nothing for me. I do know and have downloaded properly the adobe 1998 but now am confused as to how to proceed due to the fact that my camera is downloading the sGRB's. I did try to print telling the printer to not utilize the printer driver but instead the sGRB and another time the adobe 1998. Neither of these did the trick.

I have done my best to study up and just don't understand. I am not a professional printer with a million dollar or even 5,000 dollar printer. I don't have any money for it anyway. I cannot sit here and apply a million pantone settings as no money for all the ink. I thought if I shared that the blue in my image prints out turquoise (and different varying shades on different images)someone might spot what I can do.

Thank you for listening and hope someone out there can help me..thanks!!!!

Angel

chub_tor 11:04 26 Oct 2013

I know that you say you have read lots of articles about colour matching but have you read this one? It helped me when I had a similar problem with my MP6150 but I will admit I used a lot of ink and a lot of different papers before I found a combination that satisfied me. So much of the process is trial and error I'm afraid and once you have found that perfect combination of cartridge and paper suppliers you have to rigidly stick to it and hope that they don't change their manufacturing processes. I ended up by only using Canon original cartridges and Canon Photo Glossy II paper with a custom profile that I finally saved especially for the purpose. It took ages and I don't know of a shortcut to this trial and error process.

woodchip 14:16 26 Oct 2013

You are now touching on the unexplained without going into extended cost etc.

You will only get a fair mack. Best way is first try to set the monitor view with a photo you scanned and checked. Next you can in most printer software adjust the output colour, printing out a small picture. when you get a satisfactory result you should save the Map file.

PS

Paper and Ink all have a baring on the outcome of what you see even though you make a map and load it before printing if any of the above have been changed you will get different results.

See I told you its not easy

Angelb2 17:13 26 Oct 2013

chub_tor:

Posted Today at 11:04AM

I know that you say you have read lots of articles about colour matching but have you read this one? It helped me when I had a similar problem with my MP6150 but I will admit I used a lot of ink and a lot of different papers before I found a combination that satisfied me. So much of the process is trial and error I'm afraid and once you have found that perfect combination of cartridge and paper suppliers you have to rigidly stick to it and hope that they don't change their manufacturing processes. I ended up by only using Canon original cartridges and Canon Photo Glossy II paper with a custom profile that I finally saved especially for the purpose. It took ages and I don't know of a shortcut to this trial and error process.

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I have read that article and many others as well. I understand about calibrating and ink and the paper too. I know somebody out there has solved this more easily to help all of us!!!

I use only Canon original ink and will try the paper too. There is alot to learn and I have spent almost one year on this subject. It is time to solve it and your information and assistance is very kind! Glad you found your little niche for your printing and if I figure this out or another helps out will happily share.

Also, I want to state it is not IMPOSSIBLE to match the colors to your printer. This is just said because somebody gave up! By helping each other we bring more knowledge and information. Thanks for your kind reply!!

Angelb2 17:16 26 Oct 2013

woodchip:

He he! Yep, it sure is not easy! Thanks alot...I will try some more.

Thank you very much for your kind reply!

Peter 17:30 26 Oct 2013

Angelb2,

As you can see from chub_tor & woodchip's comments this is not an easy subject with a quick solution.

One thing I have noticed with Epson printers, which may also be relevant to your Canon printer, is that the gamma tends to get set to 1.8 which produces "punchy" pictures by stretching the mid-tones, but makes the shadows too dark and the highlights to light. Light pinks and light blues become white and dark blues become black. If this is one of your problems and your gamma setting in the printer settings is set to 1.8 try setting it to 1.5.

The grey text coming out beige could be a slight excess of green/yellow. Try increasing the magenta setting by a small amount to compensate for the excess of green.

All changes need to be made in the printer settings from the control panel if you want them to stick. Adjustments made from within a programme when printing will be lost when you shut down that programme.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

hssutton 21:05 26 Oct 2013

My suggestions would be to ditch the programs you are using. Then download Calibration wizard and calibrate your laptop screen. Freeware

Next download Photoshop CS2 In CS2 printer dialogue set colour handling to Photoshop manages colour. Follow the link to download CS2, which again suprisingly is also free, but you will be required to create an Adobe ID. If you decide to follow my suggestion, please read the following which is specific to CS2 CS2

martd7 22:54 26 Oct 2013

Been in the print industry i know myself how difficult it is to match photos its near impossible,you will get close but never have a fully 100% match,ive used the latest machinery,ink,substrates and it varys,different types of manufacturers ink etc, example one manufacturers CYAN (blue) was tinted yellow,anothers can be tinted red so thats more variables

Pantone colours-trying to print out of cmyk or rgb isnt so successful some you can get close,others are far off the colour

Cyan,yellow,magenta and black are really only for photo work and even then the colour balance is awkward

As you mention your skys have a yellow turquoise tint thats is because the cyan in your printer is yellow pigmented,others are red pigmented Trial and error am afraid and lots of time

Angelb2 04:24 27 Oct 2013

Peter: Wow! Thank you. I have calibrated my monitor with what I have and to no avail. To do this in my printer I didn't know I can do or that it could help. I will try your ideas and let you know.

I do have a dumb question though..what color should I try to adjust if my blue of the sky is printing out turquoise-ish coloring. If I decrease tint in my publisher, I just now tried this thinking about what you said, it does look like the green turquoise tint that prints out. So, does this mean, if I increase the tint a bit (instead of decrease) will it balance out my blue. I am going to try this. I will try your other suggestions as well.

So very very kind of you to help me. I will let you know how it goes. I see someone (HSSutton) is saying to download a free program to calibrate my monitor..maybe this will help and maybe not. I am not sure yet. I am going to try it however. I am a legal secretary (over 30+ years) and in the last year and one-half I created some awesome art. I have put in my blood, sweat and tears to get this accomplished. I have learned so much, maybe if my art does do well, I can buy my own equipment (higher end printer like the printing companies).

I did some test runs in different countries and here in the US and have had amazing results. I am madly panicing as I am finishing up changing fonts on my art and then redoing the descriptions on my online store. There are only a few that are printing out not what I want. I will share here as soon as I go online so you can see it. I believe the universe has sent them to me..will be so happy to share.

Anyway..thank you again. I will let you know what I find. Right now, I have to finish things and get ready. Then, I will run a few test runs again when I have some money. In a week or so I think. I am literally a kind of starving (not really) artist! Living on very little and starting this with almost no money..so this is why I am so thankful for all of the people here trying to help me.

Thank so much Peter!!! Will keep you apprised!

Angel

Angelb2 04:35 27 Oct 2013

hssutton: Thank you very kindly for your support and assistance. I am grateful. I will look into the programs you are suggesting. As soon as I accomplish this, will read the information link you posted.

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I am amazed that people like you and the others are out there and would take a few moments to share what they know to try and assist me. If only our world could run this way..sigh.

Thank you so much. I am madly setting things up to start online. When I go online (easier way to share what I am trying to do), I will place the link here for you guys. Am panicing as I just want to start and there is so much to do beforehand!

I am grateful for the time you took to share your ideas and possible solutions. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you so very very much.

Angel

Angelb2 04:50 27 Oct 2013

mart7: Wow..thank you very much for your help. I have learned a little bit about what you are saying about the ink, substrates, manufacturers, and all. What I DON'T know is color matching. It is easy for some, but it is hard to figure this out and try and solve my problem. Thank you for the insight about the tints etc. So far, I really agree with you about the pantone information. This is why I posted here asking for some help. Very nice of you to share with me. I am taking in all that has been shared on my post so far and am going to sleep on it all. Sometimes, when I am the most confused (out of stress for sure), once I have had a few days somehow it settles in my brain and a few answers come out that seem pertinent. So far, I think everyone on my post has shared some amazing assistive information.

I will try hard to work on what has been given to me here to try out. I want to solve this and I want to help others. I know there is an answer..maybe it is going to take all of us to find it.

Now I have to think about what you said about the pigments in the inks. Once you said it here, it seems to make so much sense. It is confusing to me since I don't know alot on this subject. So, it makes sense it will possibly as part of the whole picture be the manufacturing as well.

Well..lot's to do from the kind advice from all. I did so much research for so many months and finally I thought, ok, where can I go to ask and see if I cannot find a solution. So hard trying to understand.

Thank you so so so much for your help. Will keep you updated as to a solution. Maybe with all of us sharing, somehow will come up with a new way to do this!!! He he..probably not, but there has to be a way to organize it and figure it out..thank you so much for taking the time to share what you know.

Angel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)