How many system restore points should I have?

Carafaraday 13:58 11 Aug 2008

I've just been to look at system restore and I have only three possible restore points. I'm sure they used to go way back and I had many to choose from. The pc has been used every day as usual and the settings are to allow maximum space for restore points. I am not aware of changing anything which would have got rid of the restore points other than running %temp% to get rid of temp files. Would that have deleted system restore? How many restore points do other people have?

FatboySlim71 14:12 11 Aug 2008

I tend to clean out ALL BUT MY MOST RECENT RESTORE POINTS on a weekly basis.

Running Disk Cleanup can delete all but the most System Restore Points, as this is what I use on a weekly basis to clean out ALL BUT MY MOST RECENT RESTORE POINTS.

Be aware that having a large number of restore points can take up a significant amount of hard drive space.

ventanas 14:13 11 Aug 2008

Normally a new restore point is created once every 24 hours. XP will store them, by default, for 90 days. Vista keeps them for 136 years(4,294,967,295 seconds).

Are you dual booting by any chance? doing so will delete all restore points in Vista if you go into XP.

Carafaraday 14:15 11 Aug 2008

Thank you - that's precisely what's happened. I ran Disk Cleanup - I'd forgotten that. I didn't realised that it would remove restore points. Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Carafaraday 14:17 11 Aug 2008

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm pretty sure I'm not dual booting as I don't have a clue what that is! Running XP and only XP.

Pineman100 14:20 11 Aug 2008

As Carafaraday has closed this thread, I hope he/she won't mind if I add a question to you.

Are you serious about Vista storing restore points for 136 years?!

If so, how do you ensure that the hard drive doesn't get completely clogged up with these?

GaT7 14:20 11 Aug 2008

It varies. Windows keeps clearing out the old ones to make space for the new.

On average, about one restore point is created a day. If you make certain changes to your system or install drivers or updates, more restore points are created. Running the Windows cleaner or other similar software could delete older ones.

Since 8/08, I have only 3 - none was created yesterday. I have several on 5 & 6/08, but that's because I uninstalled/reinstalled drivers & did a few Windows updates. G

Carafaraday 14:24 11 Aug 2008

Pineman100 - you can change the settings to limit the amount of space allowed for storage of restore points........

ventanas 14:33 11 Aug 2008

If you don't clear them out, have anough disc space and don't change the settings in the registry Visat will store them for that length of time.
click here

FatboySlim71 20:37 11 Aug 2008

To ensure your "hard drive doesn't get completely clogged up with these"

You can do the following (I do exactly this with Vista Ultimate)

A GOOD IDEA FIRST IS TO CHECK HOW MUCH USED SPACE YOU HAVE PRIOR TO DOING THE BELOW PROCEDURE, IT WILL GIVE YOU SOME IDEA AS TO HOW MUCH ROOM SEVERAL RESTORE POINTS CAN TAKE UP.AFTER YOU HAVE DONE THE BELOW CHECK AGAIN AND YOU WILL SEE HOW MUCH ROOM YOU HAVE FREED UP.

Run Disk Cleanup (type this in the start search area)

Once the Disk Cleanup window appears click on the "FILES FROM ALL USERS ON THIS COMPUTER" click continue etc. After a short time you will have another Disk Cleanup window appear, on this will be two tabs "DISK CLEANUP" and the other tab is "MORE OPTIONS" click the MORE OPTIONS tab, next you will have two choices, "PROGRAMS AND FEATURES" and "SYSTEM RESTORER & SHADOW COPIES" you need to click the CLEAN UP button for the "SYSTEM RESTORER & SHADOW COPIES".

Another window will appear asking you "if you want to delete all but the most recent restore point" after you have clicked on delete it will then do just that, when its finished close the remaining window.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie