How many pixels?

Chegs ® 20:06 28 Feb 2004

Just a quickie,how many pixels would be needed to create a passport sized picture.I have just about used an inkjet cartridge up having to print test pics until I got an image almost the right size(it was 3mm to narrow)This was 550 pixels wide and keeping the aspect ratio box ticked(IrfanView)but there has to be an easier method. ;-)

Diodorus Siculus 20:11 28 Feb 2004

Does Irfanview give an option to print a certain size in CM rather than pixels?

woodchip 20:14 28 Feb 2004

Tell me the size in something I understand Ins or cm I can then reduce a pic in a program and tell you what it comes up as in pixels hope fully

Diodorus Siculus 20:15 28 Feb 2004

Chegs ® - you can resize the picture according to CM - if you try that, it should print at the correct size.

Chegs ® 20:19 28 Feb 2004

Everytime I set the size in cms it messed up the image,either lengthening the height or widening the width.The only way I could get it to produce the final image the(almost)right size was with the pixels.A passport pic is 3.9(W)cms by 5(H)cms.

paddyjack 20:25 28 Feb 2004

Why not import the image into a DTP, or word processor and size it there it. I print all my photos from Word, in what ever size I want.

woodchip 20:39 28 Feb 2004

Try it at about 614Pix W x 800Pix H

cycoze 20:57 28 Feb 2004

Unmounted 45mm x 35mm in size , from UK Passport Service click here , 45mm x 35mm equates to 354 pix x 276 (in Paint Shop).

marjted 21:05 28 Feb 2004

In Irfanview, select cms as your units and then ensure that you have the box "Keep aspect ratio" ticked. Now your image should not be distorted or get "messed up" when you alter the size of the height or the width.

You may then have to crop the image down to the 3.9 x 5 cms size you need.

Chegs ® 21:41 28 Feb 2004

paddyjack:I was copy/pasting into Word.

I just rechecked my pixels,the image that worked best was 600x900 pixels.

I have printed it out onto photopaper,the pics aren't actually for a passport,I start a new job Mon and need to take with me,6 passport sized pics of me dressed in "Business attire"As I have a digi camera,it was easy,just get a couple of friends holding a white sheet up,stand infront of,and get my girlfriend to take the pics.click here Pic changed to 600x900 pixels(worked ok)click here Used cms setting,and when pasted into word it produced an elongated image,but just uploaded it to my site and it appears in IE just fine.

Chegs ® 01:01 29 Feb 2004

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017