How many people have been caught out by this email

Pastor Joe 09:34 29 Mar 2009

You spoke, Hotmail! listened

Dear Account User,

This e-mail is from the Windows Live Hotmail® customer care and we are sending it to every Hotmaile-mail User. Accounts Owner for safety. we are having congestion due to the anonymous registration of Hotmail accounts update of birth and your country information would be needed to verify your account.

Due to the congestion, Windows Live Hotmail would be shutting down all Unused and Unconfirmed Accounts and your account was among those to be deleted. We are sending this email to you so that you can verify and let us know that you still want to use this account. If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below. after clicking
the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

Note:
Your details will not be shared, We'll keep working on making Windows Live! the best email service around, and we appreciate your joining us for the ride.

*USER NAME:
*E-MAIL ID:
*PASSWORD:
*VERIFY PASSWORD:
*ALTERNATE EMAIL ADDRESS:
*DATE OF BIRTH:
*COUNTRY/TERRITORY:

The Windows Live! Team
Message Code: XV6289KK

After following the instructions, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention and corporation to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Warning!!!
Account owner that refuses to update his/her Account after two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Thank you for using Windows Live Hotmail™

Sincerely,
The Windows Live Hotmail Team...

What gave it away, apart from the bad English, was the senders address:

gengiscant 09:59 29 Mar 2009

Anone caught out by something like this from [email protected] deserves all.

Stuartli 11:07 29 Mar 2009

That's exactly what would have alerted me to the fact that there was something fishy.....:-)

Another form of spam. FE informed.

Sea Urchin 11:09 29 Mar 2009

I didn't know FE was responsible for Hotmail :@)

Forum Editor 11:16 29 Mar 2009

and by now I would have thought that most people know about this kind of thing.

iscanut 11:18 29 Mar 2009

Golden rule..if you are ever asked to divulge log in, password etc to the service provider whoever they may be.. DONT..it will be a scam.

Stuartli 11:18 29 Mar 2009

He isn't, but the thread contents are an apparent invitation to try the e-mail address.

Perhaps you missed a recent thread by the FE with regard to him being advised of spam and spam type posts?

Sea Urchin 11:41 29 Mar 2009

I don't think it's the thread that is inviting anything - Pastor Joe was reproducing the email, and asking if anybody was likely to be caught out by such a message.

iscanut 13:02 29 Mar 2009

We all know what Stuartli means !!!

VCR97 18:34 29 Mar 2009

I had the same e-mail but from [email protected]. When I looked for heartbeathouse I found a site which was warning customers that their e-mail address had been hijacked and was being used for phishing.

lotvic 00:53 30 Mar 2009

Oh you are awful - publishing those email addresses on the internet... they will get loads of spam sent to them now... he he :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017