How many installs on windows Xp

tonymcdonn 19:10 12 Jan 2007

How many installs am I allowed to do on Windows XP? I have done 4 or 5, I'm not sure now. I am having trouble with my hard drive so I have to get a new hard drive and reinstall Windows. The only new hardware I have put on is a soundcard and now I will have to put a new hard drive on.
I have not been able to get back to some people who have helped me with some questions during the week as I have had trouble with the internet going down due to (Talktalk.) Can I take this oppertunity to thank you all.

SANTOS7 19:18 12 Jan 2007

Not sure why you need to do so many reinstalls, it doesn't always have to be that drastic.
If you are putting a new HDD in your PC have you considered putting another one in then maybe we can guide you through the process (inc. software) of backing up your system so you don't have to keep doing this

tonymcdonn 19:55 12 Jan 2007

Thank you Santos, I new to all this sill learning?

archir123 20:05 12 Jan 2007

strictly speaking you can re-install it as many times as you like , ive had it since it came out and as a gamer i quite often re-install when a get a nice new piece of hardware.

the only problem is after a few goes windows starts to complain about the software key being overused or summat , or that the hardware has changed , all you need to do in that case is choose to register over the phone and they give you a new key , ive done it loads :0)

but as been mentioned you do seem to be re-installing rather alot for no real reason ;0) ;0)

tonymcdonn 20:16 12 Jan 2007

Thank you Archir123, I have some faults and have reinstalled each time and registered it. I have bought ghost boot disk to do an image when I learn to do it properly. I have done one but when I put it in the drive it didn't recognise it as a boot up disk so I dumped it.

SANTOS7 20:21 12 Jan 2007

Acronis true image is worth its weight in gold

click here

I bought TI9 some time ago it is easy to use you can create boot discs (that work) comes highly recommended by most on this forum..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?