How to make several .doc files into one multi-page

six-h 21:47 02 Jul 2009

I have about 40 word ".doc" files that I want to combine into one multi-page document.
I have tried and been defeated using Word 2003.

Now I have Office 2007, and the recent addition of "Save As PDF" I thought I'd give it another try but no luck!

I'm sure it must be possible, can someone instruct me please?

Stuartli 21:53 02 Jul 2009

See:

click here

Or have you tried opening a New Document page and copying and pasting each document into it (pages will open automatically in sequence) in the order required?

Easiest way will most likely be to have two Word pages open, one for the new page and the second to open, copy and paste each .doc file.

Stuartli 21:57 02 Jul 2009

Using the Insert facility may prove easier than copying and pasting.

six-h 22:59 02 Jul 2009

Thanks Stuartli, Copy and Paste got as far as page 10 then funny things started happening!
Tried "Insert" but it wants me to convert to docx format first, and the macro you link to looks too complicated for what I want!
Some where there will be an easy way!!

Stuartli 10:01 03 Jul 2009

This will probably be to do with the formatting of Word documents.

Some more possible help:

click here

click here

Or press F1 in Word and look up Compare and Merge documents (to follow my usual comment that MS provides very comrehensive Help files in its programs and applications!)

six-h 15:18 03 Jul 2009

Thanks Stuartli,
I must admit Word 2007 help files and the online help have now made this previously agravating feature useful!!
(As long as you know the question that will lead to the answer! lol)
I have also received some advice from the Microsoft "communities" forums, and think that what I'm trying to achieve is probably too complex to be bothered doing!!
The pages concerned were scanned from a book (The Non-Designers Design Book)using Abbey FineReader and since they were concerned with Fonts and styles, I spent many hours correcting the OCR's attempts to interpret the graphics.
I suspect that trying to amalgamate all these into one PDF is going to be "a brigde too far" so to speak.
I think I'll just put up with what I currently have.
Thanks for trying though.

Stuartli 15:35 03 Jul 2009

If you don't fancy facing retyping all the documents as a normal Word file, do you have any friends or relatives that are good at typing?

I get a few requests to do this as I'm a touch typist...:-)

six-h 16:07 03 Jul 2009

Hi Stuartli,
No, it's not the typing, it's the fact that the book illustrates in some cases Fonts and Styles that I don't have, and are costly to buy if you don't have adequate reason to have them.
It is just a very handy book showing how to lay out documents using complimentary fonts and styles, and the effect that can be achieved using white space.
I'll just be satisfied that I've captured the pages I have and put up with having to open each seperately!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone