How to make pc boot from slave drive

ACOLYTE 14:28 25 Mar 2007

My original pc broke so i put the Hdd in my sons pc as slave it has xp installed on it,is there i can boot from this drive?.

User-312386 14:30 25 Mar 2007

Yes put your sons HDD to "slave" and yours to Master

ACOLYTE 14:33 25 Mar 2007

I tried but it gives errors when it starts up,i think because when i installed xp on it it was in my pc not his so it had different divices and drivers.
I dont really want to format the thing if i can help it.

User-312386 00:23 30 Mar 2007

See if you can go into safe mode (F8)

keef66 10:15 30 Mar 2007

Do you know what went wrong with your original pc? If the hdd failed, you're not going to get it to work in another pc at all.
If the power supply has failed, it's an easy thing to replace.
If it's the motherboard, you could get away with a windows repair rather than a reinstall.

As you concluded yourself, you won't be able to boot from your hdd in another pc; it wont find the bios or devices it needs.

With it hooked up as slave can you see the drive in windows explorer? If so, you can recover your files to the other hard drive.

laurie53 12:12 30 Mar 2007

Sorry, this is an out an out hi-jack, but just a quick confirmation.

I am doing a self build and I was hoping just to install an spare bootable hard drive to save a full install of XP (I have a legit full install CD).

It appears this will not work?

Laurie

keef66 13:09 30 Mar 2007

Not in my experience, no. You might get away with a repair install, followed by the mobo chipset drivers etc.

Although having said that, I have read in these forums of people replacing a motherboard and not having to reinstall / repair XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017