How long a usb cable is practicable ?

greybeard 19:56 13 Feb 2006

I want to set up a web cam in the garden to monitor a bird nest. What are the limits for a long usb cable ?
If I provide a power supply at the cam end will this greatly improve matters, or do I also need some signal amplification as well ? I'm thinking of about 10 -20 metres.
If so, how, and what sort of kit do I need to do it on a limited budget ?

John

woodchip 20:00 13 Feb 2006

I would think it will work at that, But only in one length no joints

Totally-braindead 20:02 13 Feb 2006

There is a limit but I'm not sure how long it is, someone else will I'm sure answer this, have you considered a stand alone camera, I've seen them being sold by the likes of Woolworths for as little as £30 for a black and white one, I did see a colour one as well which I think was £50 and some of them are wireless as well.

Totally-braindead 20:04 13 Feb 2006

Found this on the web " Note:the maximum length for USB cables is 5 meters (16.4 feet), Unless you use an "active" repeater cable. "

greybeard 20:17 13 Feb 2006

woodchip - thanks, most encouraging.
T-b - I've already got a cheap (sacrificial ?)webcam of ebay for £6. Can you post a link to that cable info ?
Many thanks.
John

Totally-braindead 20:21 13 Feb 2006

If you just go to google.co.uk and search for usb cable + maximum length you will find lots. Such as these click here=

greybeard 20:30 13 Feb 2006

Not so braindead,after all (;)
Many thanks.
john

€dstowe 20:33 13 Feb 2006

A busybody neighbour has a webcam type camera directed on the village pond to keep his eye on what he thinks of as undesirables - the youngsters of the village. He has a 25 metre cable connecting it to his computer at his home. It works OK. He lashed up the cable himself by cutting an ordinary USB cable into two, soldering a length of multi-way screened cable between the cut ends and wrapping the joints in insulation tape.

Totally-braindead 20:41 13 Feb 2006

Sorry, it seems you have 2 choices, either set it up with your webcam and the repeater thing they mention, you would have to price it obviously, or the other suggestion I posted earlier of a outside camera available from the likes of Woolys and I've seen them at B&Q and the like as well.
click here

Totally-braindead 20:43 13 Feb 2006

Well perhaps I'm wrong after all, I'm only going by what I found on the net. You could always try it greybeard presumming you have the cables lying about.

greybeard 21:01 13 Feb 2006

edstowe - thanks - worth bearing in mind to try as I do have some similar cable somewhere.
T-b - thanks again.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone