How to link my PC DVD-ROM to TV set

toogie 14:44 28 Mar 2003

I have recently bought a new PC with a 16X DVD-ROM.
Although I can watch DVD's on my 15"Samsung 151D LCD, I would also like to link thr DVD-ROM to my TV.
The TV is 20feet from my PC in another room. What cable and connections would I need to allow me to do this and which port would I use on my PC ?
I have 64MB nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with TV-out & DVI. 4x USB Ports & Firewire.
Please keep any response as non technical as possible.

tamc98 14:59 28 Mar 2003

In theory all you need to do is run an composit video cable (phono cable with yellow plugs) and an audio cable from your PC to the Ext socket on your TV. If your TV only has standard SCART sockets then you will need to get an adapter.
In reality running AV cables that far will probably result in a poor picture unless you invest in very expensive cables.
Far better to pop down to Richer Sounds and get yourself a proper DVD player. Even Argos are now selling them for around £60.
HTH. Tony.

Legolas 15:40 28 Mar 2003

I have linked my PC to my 30" widescreen TV and I am impressed with the picture quality, although I rarely watch movies on the PC through the TV it was more a case of doing it to see how it looked. I agree with tamc98 if you are going to watch lots of movies you would probably be better with a DVD player, but why not give it a go anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?