How to install XP on a new HDD

nyle7220 18:41 14 Oct 2009

My HDD on my PC had recently packed in. I don't have another PC (typing this on my sisters netbook). I would be able to install a new HDD fine but I don't know how to install XP. I don't have a disc as my PC was purchased from a catalog. I have got a product key but that is it. Can anyone help me?

cream. 18:44 14 Oct 2009

First.

Is the hard drive IDE ( wide ribbon cable ) or SATA.

If it's IDE it will load if you can borrow a disk.

If it's SATA, you will need the drivers for windows to see it.

No disk!

Borrow one of the same type and use your product key to activate it. You just set the computer to boot from CD and insert the disk.

2neat 18:50 14 Oct 2009

No, unless you know the product key you are goosed. I just bought Win 7 for about £40 !
*bay is not the 'best' place to buy software.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:58 14 Oct 2009

Go to click here and download the MS key changer to a memory stick.

If you have a correct and registered product key (5x5 groups of numbers and letters borrow ANY XP disc (must be same..home..pro) and load it. Do not activate it until you have run the key changer. Run keychanger and change the product key to the one on your computer. You can now activate the installation.

G

DieSse 22:45 14 Oct 2009

Just borrow a CD of the correct type, set your computer to boot from CD. Start the computer, and when the installation asks for it, enter the product key you already have.

You don't need to be changing keys or anything like that - just use your own key.

When we say "of the same or correct type" whats meant is

If your product key os for XP Home use an XP Home CD

If your product key is for an OEM version, (ie stuck on the PC case) use an OEM CD.

DieSse 22:46 14 Oct 2009

Just borrow a CD of the correct type, set your computer to boot from CD. Start the computer, and when the installation asks for it, enter the product key you already have.

You don't need to be changing keys or anything like that - just use your own key.

When we say "of the same or correct type" whats meant is

If your product key os for XP Home use an XP Home CD

If your product key is for an OEM version, (ie stuck on the PC case) use an OEM CD.

cream had it right first time.

DieSse 22:47 14 Oct 2009

Sorry about the part posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?