how to install vista onto an advent 4211 notebook

jdapianoman 18:40 14 Oct 2009

hi, i've been trying to install a vista upgrade onto my advent 4211 notebook. the installation goes fine as i've used it on my dell laptop, but for some reason it gets about 30% the way through and fails. I've read on some forums that its due to not having a built-in cd-rom.
does anyone know if there is a way around this?

antony.dandrea 19:05 14 Oct 2009

Well, if you hardrive had nothing already installed, then yes, the upgrade wont work. But XP was already on it with th laptop, it should work

jdapianoman 19:12 14 Oct 2009

yes the notebook is currently running windows xp fine. i was wondering whether anyone had encounted the same problem as I have. its very annoying as i say i have successfully installed it on my dell laptop also, and it works fine.

Technotiger 20:34 14 Oct 2009

Are you saying that you have installed Vista on your dell laptop AND want to install it on the Notebook? If so, is not illegal, unless you have two actual original Vista DVD's.

Technotiger 20:36 14 Oct 2009

Should have put *this* between 'is ... not illegal,'

jdapianoman 23:40 14 Oct 2009

sorry I should have been clearer. I have TWO SEPERATE (you never know who's watching!!) Vista installations. One of which I have used on my Dell, the other to use on my Advent. However, as the thread explains I am unable to do.

Technotiger 07:40 15 Oct 2009

OK, how are you actually trying to install it on the Notebook?

If you try to install it using a USB Mem Stick, that will not work at all. You need a external USB DVD/ROM Drive to make the install possible.

Peter 12:01 15 Oct 2009

Won't Vista be a bit too much for the Advent 4211 Netbook? Perhaps it would be better to wait for the cut down netbook version of Windows 7.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?