How to install hard drive?

gruffass 07:39 02 Mar 2006

I recently had a pc "die" and i want to use the hard drive that was in it and put it as a second drive in the new pc as it has programs and files i want to keep and use. Is this ok to do? How do I do this?

Cheers

rawprawn 07:58 02 Mar 2006

Yes it's OK click here

gruffass 08:09 02 Mar 2006

Looked at that help, think ive got the idea, but it goes on about having a floppy before you go on to the BIOS menu. I dont have one with this hard drive so will it be ok after ive connected it as a slave to just turn on the pc and let it boot up normally or do i have to do the BIOS menu?

rawprawn 08:18 02 Mar 2006

It should bot normally if you set it as slave, I just gave you the pictures to help.

gruffass 08:20 02 Mar 2006

ok, i'll give it a go, thanks

gruffass 09:41 02 Mar 2006

gotta problem, set it as slave, turned on and i got a double beep and it wouldnt boot up! What does that mean? Also should I have set the other hard drive to master or cable select. It was set at cable select

rawprawn 09:47 02 Mar 2006

Try it on Master, a lot depends on the make. Unfortunately I have to go now but I am sure some one will point you in the right direction.

Pamy 10:03 02 Mar 2006

you should set up as rawprawn said (Master and Slave). You should be able to use the data on the drive but do not think you can use the programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?