How to increase size of primary partition?

john bunyan 16:13 28 Jan 2010

I have W7,64 bit . Main drive partitioned C: 50 Gig, F: 250 (lost 20 somewhere!). I use the C: for programmes, F: for (I use old filing from XP)for "My Documents"(ie all photos, music etc). I think e Mail defaults to the C: Drive , and I am using a total of 33Gig of it. I have allocated 12 Gig for system restore. I would like to increse the C: partition to 80 G at the expense of the F: one. All "My documents" are backed up to an external drive with ATI image and a copy of the "My documents" folder. Can I format the F: drive , then increase the C using Windows ? I am a bit worried as I notice a small boot reference to the F: drive on start up. Is there a simpler way - the disc management is a bit obscure and free third party partition managers do not seem to have a 64 bit version.

sunnystaines 16:24 28 Jan 2010

after a full backup goto admin tools-computer management - disk management

where you can change sizes etc

john bunyan 16:31 28 Jan 2010

Yes, but do you have to empty the data partition first?

john bunyan 16:37 28 Jan 2010

Also in disk management when I right click on the primary partition, the option to "Expand volume" is greyed out...

BRYNIT 17:01 28 Jan 2010

As you have already backed everything up hopefully to a separate drive, try without emptying the drive first. You've got nothing to loose by trying.

You will first need to shrink the F: drive before you can expand the C: drive.

GaT7 17:05 28 Jan 2010

Try the free Partition Wizard click here, which supports Win7 64-bit as well. G

sunnystaines 17:36 28 Jan 2010

as brynit says

john bunyan 17:37 28 Jan 2010

Thanks - will follow up your suggestions when my full back up is complete.

john bunyan 17:47 28 Jan 2010

Marking this as resolved as with your help I am sure it will work. Forgot you have to shrink the second partition first! JB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017