HOW TO IMPROVE MY COMPUTER SPECS

masterf 14:21 20 Jun 2009

THIS INFORMATION I GOT WHEN I DID A BELARC SCAN..
WHAT CAN I DO TO IMPROVE THE COMPUTER

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600) Packard Bell NEC PB13222401
System Serial Number: 043628620267
Chassis Serial Number: 50424E
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.85 gigahertz AMD Sempron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL MS-6786
Bus Clock: 167 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD V4.4 10/02/2004
Drives Memory Modules c,d
31.45 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
5.79 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG [CD-ROM drive]
AXO C96JWD2 SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 4JV1ZDE8, rev 8.01, SMART Status: Healthy 192 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 31.45 GB 5.79 GB free

woodchip 14:29 20 Jun 2009

You need to Upgrade using a Motherboard Bundle to get away from the poor CPU a Sempron,but this may mean new memory and graphics depending on your choice of motherboard. click here=

DieSse 14:30 20 Jun 2009

Add RAM - 256MB is not enough to run XP efficiently. Minimum 512MB - best 1GB.

Get more Hard Drive space - you're running dangerously low.

Clean up redundant temporary files - at minimum run Windows Disk Cleanup (in the Sysatem Tools) - or better, a more thorough cleaner - I use Wise Disk cleaner (free version).

masterf 14:31 20 Jun 2009

which website could i get a good motherboard to fit my packard bell imedia 1304.
and how would fit the motherboard into the pc ?

masterf 14:32 20 Jun 2009

i have already also order 512mb ram which i am going to put into my second slot

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 20 Jun 2009

As you also want to buy a bigger drive click here you other thread.

I suggest you buy a new machine and start over I will be cheaper than trying to upgrade and your version of XP will not be valid if you change so much equipment.

norman47 15:08 20 Jun 2009

Your problems are

If you have already ordered the ram, you have to stick with that motherboard as any new bundle would not accept that type of ram. You would have to get a faster, larger hard drive, about £25 and look for a better cpu. A 3200+ barton would be a better bet over the poor semprons. Cost about £35, if you can find a second hand one.

You then have a slightly better machine with no chance of better upgrade apart from more ram.

If you go for a motherboard bundle from £90 click here Your new ram would have to be returned. You would be stuck with a maximum of 2 IDE drives ( your cdroms ). You would then have to go to SATA for a hard drive and if you have a agp graphics card you may find that they only accommodate the new PCI-e 16X cards. On top of that, your power supply may not have the connections needed for a new motherboard and to top the lot, you will probably have to reinstall windows and if you have just the PB restore disk, you might need a new operating system disk.

Not good news!!

You could get a barebones system that takes care of the case problem like this click here and you could use one cdrom and one IDE hard drive but your hard drive is filling up and you may have to buy a £30 SATA hard drive and install the operating system again.

Or you could scrap that system and go for a click here which you can plug in and go.

That is the black and white of some of the options.

masterf 15:20 20 Jun 2009

thanks for help where could i get a new harddrive that fits this computer ?
and a cpu that fits it too ?

Terry Brown 15:23 20 Jun 2009

The first question should be--

What do you want to use your computer for?

If it or office type applications and internet, your current system is adequate.

For Video editing work:
More memory and a better CPU

For High Spec games:

Get a new machine.
Terry

norman47 15:25 20 Jun 2009

hard drive @ click here

cpu's click here

Les28 15:48 20 Jun 2009

Unless you've already done it I'd suggest you increase available free hard drive space which as already mentioned is very low as a proportion of overall hard drive size, low free hard drive space less than 15% could mean you may be unable to defrag the machine using windows defrag utility and you're close to that now.

Reduce default size reserved by windows for system restore, reduce to about 800MB.

click here

Reduce default size reserved by windows for recycle bin, reduce to about 1%

click here

Reduce the default size reserved by windows for temp internet file cache, reduce to about 100MB.

click here

When you've added your new ram, check to ensure system managed size is enabled.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?