How hot should router get?

James-299039 19:38 23 Jul 2006

I have read previous questions on this subject in this MB and it seems it is normal for a router to become warm but my question is at what point should one be concerned?

I have BT Yahoo Broadband with a wired BT Voyager 205 router with DSL connection.

I have had the Broadband package and router for six months and it works efficiently.

However, I have noticed that in recent weeks the router appears to be getting warmer than when I first had it.

The router sits on my large wooden computer desk with plenty of space around it and out of direct heat and sunlight. It is two feet away from (and above and to the side of the computer) and away from the flat screen as well.

When I lift the router that part of the wooden desk feels quite warm from contact with the underside of the router.

I normally leave the router on all the time although I switch off my computer overnight.

During the recent thunderstorms I have unplugged both router and computer for short periods.

I know warmth/heat is subjective and difficult to quantify in print. However, is it normal for the router to feel noticeably warm or should it be just off-cold?

Thank you for any helpful replies.

CurlyWhirly 20:04 23 Jul 2006

I know this sounds silly but up until I did this, my router was also getting warm.

I have placed my router on top of 4 pop bottle tops to allow air to circulate underneath as my router has vents underneath.

It's a bit silly designing vents underneath the router and then allowing the router to come into contact with wherever it is placed!

woodchip 20:32 23 Jul 2006

Just checked curly, that must be why my 3Com stays cool as the vents are in the side's

Forum Editor 20:34 23 Jul 2006

your router will become noticeably warm - verging on hot in fact. It's nothing to worry about, and in fact there's nt much that you can d about it - the heat gain will, to a certain extent, depend on data transfer through the modem.

Make sure it's in a well-ventilated spot, and never place anything on top of it. Artificial cooling methods are fine if you're worried.

ade.h 21:16 23 Jul 2006

click here Often discussed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?