How hot is safe for a Optical DVD or CD WRtr drive

Giggle n' Bits 23:06 24 Aug 2006

Juast noticed when installing a a application from a CD which took around 20 mins the CDwtr/DVD Combi drive underneath on one area of the casing got very hot and that hot it could burn your finger/hand. this area under the drive was directly under and about 1" in from where the 4pin power molex connects.

Is this normal for them to get this hot or it it a faulty circuit in the drive itself

Giggle n' Bits 23:07 24 Aug 2006

its cooled down which is making wonder is it just getting naturally hot ?

jimv7 23:21 24 Aug 2006

They do use a laser for reading and burning.

woodchip 23:32 24 Aug 2006

A Laser will do that, Not to worry. My Van CD Radio is direct over the heater. You should feel the CD's that come out of that.

sean-278262 23:38 24 Aug 2006

If they are getting hot to the point where you cannot physically hold them I would worry (usually a sign the drives on the way out). Dont worry if you get a shock however and just have to leave go as it was unexpected thats a reflex reaction and not the same thing.

Stuartli 23:55 24 Aug 2006

Why would you have your hand under the drive when it is enclosed in the system case?

Giggle n' Bits 11:25 25 Aug 2006

I touched it to feel the vibration which wasn't that band and realised the heat then but the same happens on my other machine so I take it is nothing to worry about. The CDs are warm but not that hot.

Stuartli 12:35 25 Aug 2006

Having the side case off prevents a proper flow of air through the case to cool components - in fact I had one particular mobo with a Bios that detailed the case temperature with the case open or closed..:-)

I've never yet taken out a CD-R from my TDK CD rewriter that was anything other than cool. Any heat buildup would, I presume, be dispersed by the speed of the disk during burning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?