How the hell....???

gizzyx 00:22 10 Jul 2009

Does this work? i got a memory stick (usb) free with news of the world (bruno).when i insert it, it creates 2 new drives. removeable disk(G), which is empty, (even when "show hidden files and folders" is selected), and CD drive(E),which is 0MB in size, fully used and 0MB free space. the CD drive autolinks to a webpage blah blah blah, but how does the configuration of two drives come about? totally baffled!!!

DieSse 00:38 10 Jul 2009

It's not just a simple storage device. It's specially configured to be seen as a USB hub with a CD drive, and a storage device. The idea being that the CD section can have applications on it which Autoplay.

click here

mgmcc 08:28 10 Jul 2009

There is a "U3" uninstaller linked (item 3) from click here which should let you use the full drive capacity as a basic flash drive.

crosstrainer 08:35 10 Jul 2009

..This is of course advertising....It was free :))

Follow the link posted by DieSse, or right click theme from my computer (first entry first, and second afterwards) In each case choose "Format"

Should do the job, but with the price of these things these day's you can get a 2gb stick for the price of a pint :))

gizzyx 22:51 10 Jul 2009

u3 uninstaller doesn't get rid of it. there are 3 files on the created cd section :-
autorun.inf, an internet shortcut and laucher.exe (not a typo, laucher, not launcher).
right clicking these files does not give an option to delete, nor is there an option to format the cd drive. the file description for the laucher.exe file says laucher Chipsbank.

Graphicool1 22:55 10 Jul 2009

Chuck it in the bin, it's just not worth the hassle!

gizzyx 00:00 11 Jul 2009

hi there, for me it's not about the value of it, or the fact that it's a hassle, it's about knowledge. How do they do this stuff, and how can i circumvent it! Knowledge is power!!!

crosstrainer 13:10 12 Jul 2009

.....how can i circumvent it! Knowledge is power!!!?

A guess the best advise I can give is "If it's free" Then don't go there

Or except it for what it is.

An old expression I used to tell my staff "Buy Cheap Buy Twice" :))

DieSse 13:35 12 Jul 2009

If the U3 uninstaller doesn't work, then it's almost certainly one of the type where there's a chip built-in that does the job.

In that case you can't circumvent it.

gizzyx 17:25 12 Jul 2009

Bin it is then, lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone