How to have my webpage show up as page not found?

dougle00 11:00 13 Apr 2007

Hi I have a webpage but I do not want people to know of it's existance until I am ready. Is there a way of putting a holding page which which makes it look like page not found ie page domain does not exist?

Thanks

pj123 11:38 13 Apr 2007

I don't know much about websites/domains but I would have thought the best way would be to wait until the site is finished before you upload it the web.

If you have a page that says this domain does not exist (or similar) then you will be turning people away. When it does become ready no one will want to look.

Alternatively, you could put a password on it so that only people you nominate would have access to it.

You may also get a better response if this was posted in the Web Design Forum. Lots of experts there.

MAJ 12:40 13 Apr 2007

Well you could make a webpage saying that your site was 'under construction' and call it index.htm, put that page in your root folder. When someone goes to your url, say, www. dougle00.co.uk, the Under Construction page will show. Then when your site is finished and ready to go, rename your real homepage to index.htm and scrap the Under Construction page.

But you shouldn't really need to do all that, you can construct your whole site on the PC, using the 'view in web broswer' option to check it out without having to upload it to the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017