How good is Windows Firewall...

Simsy 19:59 19 Mar 2008

in Vista?

I've just got a laptop with Vista Home Premium. I've managed to get it to see the other two PCs, which are both running XPHome, and to see the shared folders.

However, I can't get the XP machines to access the Vista machine... unless ZoneAlarm is tuned off. I can't work out how to enable a subnet in ZoneAlarm in Vista. It's different to XP?

It's OK with the windows firewall on so I'm thinking about not having Zone Alarm on at all, and just using the windows firewall.

In XP it seems the windows firewall was not very highly thought of. Is this the same in Vista?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

MAJ 20:03 19 Mar 2008

Aparently, it still offers little outbound protection.

eedcam 22:07 19 Mar 2008

ZA has its own forum sure you'll find and answer there

MCE2K5 22:12 19 Mar 2008

Zone Alarm would not work on my Vista Ultimate, Now using PC Tools Firewall Plus.
==================================================

Hi John.

Fingees 07:47 20 Mar 2008

I use vista firewall,as it now works both ways, I find it first class.

No problems in the year I have used it.

FatboySlim71 09:21 20 Mar 2008

I'm with Fingees.

I use the Vista Firewall and I find it to work spot on no problems whatsoever. To be honest the Windows Firewall will be adequate enough for the home user IMO.

The Vista Firewall is an improvement over the XP Firewall for the fact that the Vista Firewall provides outbound protection whereas the XP firewall didn't, if I'm not mistaken.

beynac 09:42 20 Mar 2008

The Vista Firewall can be configured to provide outgoing protection, but it is set to allow it as default. IMO it is quite complicated to configure it properly and is not a task for the novice. I would therefore recommend that people use a third-party firewall.

This article gives some more info: click here

beynac 10:07 20 Mar 2008

I've just re-read my above post and I don't think that I put it very clearly.

To clarify: the Vista Firewall is capable of providing two-way protection but is set to allow ALL outgoing traffic by default. To change this you need to change the Advanced Security settings rather than just using the default.

Simsy 15:22 20 Mar 2008

I think I need to find out how to use ZoneAlarm in Vista.

It's a different version (7.1), for Vista. It seems to be the same, but the option to add a subnet doesn't work... i.e. the "OK" button is disabled!

I've registered on the ZA forums, but no response there, so far.

If there's anyone ther who knows how to do this I'd appreciate a pointer!

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

woodchip 15:24 20 Mar 2008

From me. One word

RUBBISH

Simsy 15:29 20 Mar 2008

Are you saying the Windows Vista Firewall is Rubbish? That seems rather strongly held!

Why?

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?