How good are USB wifi dongles?

Batch 19:27 11 Jul 2010

Anyone know how USB wifi dongles compare (in respect of working distance etc.) with wifi typically built into lappies / netbooks etc?

Are they on a par?

mgmcc 19:46 11 Jul 2010

I have used both built-in and USB Wireless Network Adapters and haven't found any significant difference in performance. My desktop PC currently connects to my router with 802.11n at 300Mbps using a USB dongle.

I'm sure others will tell you that USB dongles are inferior, but that hasn't been my experience.

grey george 20:10 11 Jul 2010

Biggest problem with them is snapping them off by accident, some come with a usb extension cable or a little cradle that they plug into. Will it take a pcmia card?

AL47 20:47 11 Jul 2010

I have no. Doubt they are equal in performance but even in my desktop I have a wifi pci card.. because I will never remove it.. don't want it taking up a spare slot.. I need them all.. and the breaking off iasue.. even more significant on a laptop

Batch 23:16 11 Jul 2010

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I'm trying to help out elderly neighbours that are frightened of even having a telephone extension cable put in (upstairs to where the PC is) and the thought of opening up their PC to insert a card would just send them into hiding. So, although I'm in favour of having at least one wired connection, wireless using a USB dongle might be the best compromise.

Up until now, they've had a second telephone line purely to use for Internet dial-up purposes (please - don't ask). They've finally started to come to their sense (after about 8 years) that this is a very expensive and very inefficient solution.

woodchip 09:14 12 Jul 2010

I have two and never had any problems, and seem just as fast

tigertop2 09:32 12 Jul 2010

I have 5 in use right now and no problems whatsoever. I tend to favour the Edimax models but there is plenty of choice around

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?