How to get into safe mode

DJ-Garry 12:36 21 Mar 2007

Hi guys.
I have a problem with my pc and need to get into safe mode to delete some folders, drivers and registry entries put there by a virus and tht SpyBot or AdAware can't renove because they are in system memory but I have a Logitech wireless keyboard that's software doesnt load until windows starts so can't sem to use the 'F' keys. Is there a way of rebooting into safe mode from wndows XP Pro SP2?

Cheers, Garry.

VoG II 12:40 21 Mar 2007
  dazwm 16:00 21 Mar 2007

I can't access VoGs link but if you go to start>Run and type msconfig and enter. Select BOOTINI. tab and tick /SAFEBOOT shut down and restart.

beynac 16:53 21 Mar 2007

Have you got an old keyboard you could use? It can be dangerous to use the msconfig method to boot into safe mode. If your computer is unable to boot into safe mode, for any reason, you are stuck in a loop.

DJ-Garry 21:21 21 Mar 2007

Thanks VoG™. It worked great. I couldn't delete the registry item though, do you know if that's a drawback of being in safe mode or the virus protecting itself?

Cheers, Garry.

VoG II 21:33 21 Mar 2007

What happened when you tried to delete the registry entry?

DJ-Garry 21:41 21 Mar 2007

Damn, I can't remember what it said now. I was tring to get it done quickly during lunch and was running short of time. I think it just said this operation is not allowed. If it makes a big difference, I'll have another go and write it all down. Divvy me!

VoG II 21:44 21 Mar 2007

Maybe this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?