how to get rid of the Windows Log On screen

bpzoom 21:54 06 Mar 2007

WINXP. Every time I come out of standby I get the log on screen instead of the desktop. There is no password set on this machine. There are two accounts. In a previous thread months ago the advice was to take the tick out of the box "users must enter a username and password to use this computer". Im my machine that box is not ticked anyway. Does anyone know how I can avoid this pesky logon screen please?

SANTOS7 21:55 06 Mar 2007

Bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen

To make logon an unattended process:

Click [Start] [Run] and type
control userpasswords2
Click [OK]
The [User Accounts] Property Sheet displays.
On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box.
Click [Apply].
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click [OK].
Go to [Control Panel] [User Accounts] [Change the Way Users Log On and Off].
Uncheck [Use the Welcome Screen] and [Use Fast User Switching]

bpzoom 22:10 06 Mar 2007

Thanks SANTOS7. I already had gone down that route only to find the "On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box." already was unticked on my machine. I have just tried TweakUI power tool and am waiting to see if it has removed the logon screen after standby.

beeuuem 22:35 06 Mar 2007

Do you use a screensaver?
If you do, look in Display > Screensaver and see if 'On resume,password protect' is ticked.

fullyfitted 22:49 06 Mar 2007

bump

bpzoom 09:44 09 Mar 2007

Thank you all,beeuuem was right and I am no longer bothered by the login screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?