How to get rid of Spyware Guard 2009?

Pineman100 19:22 14 Jan 2009

I've spent a fair bit of today on the phone to a friend, whose XP Home computer has been invaded by Spyware Guard 2009. In case you don't know this nasty, it's one of those phoney antispyware packages that puts several false malware files on your computer, then scans the computer and reports that it's found them. It then offers to remove them if you buy its full version. If you don't do so, then its scan function keeps restarting every few minutes.

I'm afraid my friend allowed this thing to install itself (but he hasn't yet bought the full version, thank goodness).

I've used msconfig to disable Spyware Guard in his startup folder, but this doesn't seem to made any difference at all.

Using Add/Remove programs and running the Spyware Guard uninstaller does nothing. We did this once, and now it's simply disappeared from the Add/Remove Programs list of installed software - but it hasn't uninstalled.

Bleeping Computer says it can be removed with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, so I suggested that he download that and run it. He's downloaded it, but he can't get the installer to run (maybe blocked by Spyware Guard?). When he double-clicks the exceutable, he just gets the hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing.

So I talked him through running System Restore, back to a date before this nasty appeared. SR goes through its restore point selection wizard OK, until you tell it to proceed - then nothing happens. We also tried SR in Safe Mode - same result.

I've thought of using Last Known Good Configuration, but I'm not sure that Windows will recognise its current condition as a bad configuration.

Does anyone have any ideas for removing this flippin' thing, please?

MAT ALAN 19:25 14 Jan 2009

click here

might help...

rdave13 19:40 14 Jan 2009

Or here; click here

Pineman100 19:42 14 Jan 2009

Do you know that website to be reliable? I don't know it myself.

Anyone else got any ideas, please?

Not because I don't trust Mat Alan's suggestion, but because I just want to have as many weapons in the armoury as possible!

Pineman100 19:44 14 Jan 2009

but as I said above, Bleeping Computer's recommendation of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware just won't install.

MAT ALAN 19:45 14 Jan 2009

click here

How many do ya need, i'm sure one of these will resolve your problem...

Sorry cannot recommend one but i would use them...

rdave13 19:47 14 Jan 2009

Have you followed the "If mbam won't install" info on the site?

Bapou 19:54 14 Jan 2009

Malwarebytes Anti Spyware removed Spyware Guard 2009 from my daughter in law's laptop.

click here

There's also a Rogue Removal tool available, both are free to download.

Mark5001 20:40 14 Jan 2009

click here

Download this to your desktop. Restart in safe mode and run it. Press "2" on the screen that appears. When asked to clean the registry select "yes". After this go to windows\system32 and delete explore.exe if it still exists. **NOTE explore.exe and NOT explorer.exe **. It works for me fixing many infected computers.

ignys 12:51 15 Jan 2009

Hi,

also try to remove this parasite manually. I found a good instruction here, how to remove it: click here

Good luck!

Pineman100 14:02 15 Jan 2009

Just so you don't think that I've lost interest, I've emailed all of your suggestions to my mate, and I'm waiting to hear how he's got on.

Once I hear back from him, I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again, and fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?