How to get rid of redundant boot paths in XP

ame 11:56 05 Feb 2010

I followed Fruitbat's advice in this thread click here and deleted an old Windows folder, leaving Windows.0 which is the default, newly installed, Windows Xp Home o.s. However, I cannot get rid of 2 redundant paths to WinXp on Volume 1 and Volume 2 which refer to old disk partitions I got rid of. [There is also a path to Recovery Console which "does not refer to a valid operating system" but perhaps this path is only valid when my XP disk is in the pc?] This is delaying startup, but I do not want to format the drive and reload all my software again. How do I get rid of these 2 (or 3) redundant paths?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:01 05 Feb 2010

Start - type msconfig - press OK

Boot.ini tab - check boot paths.

ame 12:05 05 Feb 2010

Thanks FruitBat - did that but the only one showing up invalid is the one to Recovery Console. Removed that but it reappeared on restart. The other two are not showing up as invalid.

ame 14:28 05 Feb 2010

Ah - found how to open and edit the boot.ini file in Notepad via System. Before I do anything rash, can I just delete the two lines referring to the redundant paths?

ame 17:44 05 Feb 2010

Looked at another XP Home pc and decided to delete the 3 redundant paths. Solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017