How to get rid of this file?

cofi 11:53 26 Jul 2006

I have spoken to the one who sent me the file as an E.mail attachment.He tells me it is an Excel Spreadsheet file=file extention is XLS.I have never opened the file as I don`t have Excel and I am not bothered to open it anyway.All I want to do is to get it off my computer.It is in Mydocuments and whenever I try to delete it I get this message CONNOT DELETE FILE IT IS BEING USED BY ANOTHER PERSON OR PROGRAM CLOSE ANY PROGRAMS THAT MIGHT BE USING THE FILE AND TRY AGAIN.As far as I can see the file has never been used be any program and I have no program running when I try to delete it.So how do I get rid of it? I use Windows XP Home sp2.

SANTOS7 11:58 26 Jul 2006

click here
try this ,good luck...

alan227 12:19 26 Jul 2006

Have you tried booting into safe mode (at start up press the F8 or F5 key then select safe mode) and you will be able to remove it that way

cofi 13:13 26 Jul 2006

Thanks SANTOS7 it worked like magic.I don`t know where the offending file has gone to,it is not even in the recycle bin.But I don`t care all I wanted was to be rid of it.
Thanks also to alan227 but I did not fancy booting safe mode F8,F5 etc.I am still a newcomer to all this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?