how to get and pay web server what do you think

Linda Weir 10:34 06 Aug 2005

[1]
GREENFUSE1 Sat, 06.08.05 | 10:29
i had a young designer do my website and its nice.i paid him cash into his bank as he is always broke. now he says he cant send it to the host and needs my bank details because he hasn't a credit card.
i feel very nervous about giving my bank details to a second and third party.also if the original site he chose folded I'm not sure of the wisdom of following his choice. the following is what he has chosen for me, However i really wanted heart internet because of advice from pc advisor. the problem seems to be that i cant pay for it with my card because he has the technical stuff although he has sent me a copy of the website. ifeel very worried about the lack of control and the giving of my bank details.the following is what he is recommending:-

"My friend has basically stopped doing his own server because it was costing too much but has found a place that is REALLY good but still cheap. The hosting agency (the place that will hold & display your website) will be UK2 (click here). The Price for 2 years is £154.00 The Price for 1 year is £99.92 That includes your name (click here) any email addresses you want. Loads of web space - a thing called (CGI/PHP) which means we can have the contact form working on your site plus spam filtering so you dont get loads of junk email. The problem is I don't have a credit card so I can't actualy buy it all. It's all done online."

What do you think of this deal, i can pay for webspace with my credit card. i have no skills so i wanted him todo it in case he needs to amend the web design(in case it doesn't work) sorry its a long ramble ,i m well worried at the moment. linda

Forum Editor 10:47 06 Aug 2005

There's an easy way out of all this.

Do you have a registered domain name? If you have, do you know where it's hosted?

If you do not have a domain name you can easily register one (and set up a hosting package) yourself - you don't need the designer to do this for you.

I recommend Heart Internet because I use them extensively myself, and have found their service to be second-to-none. Once you have your account with them you can send the login details to your designer - that's all he will need to upload your site and get it working.

Just go to
click here and click on the hosting link (the maroon coloured one). Now select your package - I recommend the starter package if your site is fairly new - and away you go.

If you get stuck come back to this thread, and we'll sort it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?