How to get a good reception/signal on a satnav?

geek84 17:34 26 May 2014

Hi Folks

I have a Satnav (TomTom One) which is about 7 years old. Today, I went to see my friend, by car, who has just bought a new house, so I thought it would be best if I follow the directions of the satnav.

However, I lost the signal for the Satnav shortly after leaving home and so had to rely on my smart phone for directions to my friend's house. I used my A to Z in order to get back home, since I could not get any signal on the way back.

What is the best way to ensure that my Satnav always gets a good signal?

Thank You.

wee eddie 18:25 26 May 2014

SatNav and Car window Technology has been changing.

Many older SatNavs require an Aerial when used in a vehicle that has the recent improvements in Car Window technology. I believe that, for some reason, there is a very thin metallic layer on recent Front windows. More modern SatNavs do not need an aerial.

I had to buy an aerial for my old TomTom, when I bought my new Peugeot Taxi Cab, nearly 4 years ago.

spuds 20:26 26 May 2014

If your satnav is 7 years old, then it might pay to check some of the bargains that are being made available nowadays, with more modern technology. I have a Navman F20 that works great from a vehicle power supply, but the battery alone is now very limited in its use. Getting a replacement battery would not be cost saving.

Satnav aerials are easily and cheaply available via eBay.

woodchip 19:52 30 May 2014

First Try the Online Sata finder update, as sats are changing all the time, this is other than Windscreen Problems that I suffer from as it as anti-glare screen

caccy 20:27 30 May 2014

As an aside; when the company I worked for produced their first GPS receiver it was about 9"X9"x2" the aerial a was separate device 2"x2"X 0.5" the end user had to interface to it and develop the hardware & software to output position. (price us$20,000).

Ex plorer 12:46 01 Jun 2014

I would agree with woodchip, I have an oldish TomTom but keep it updated on the PC, its rare it lets me down if it does I just hook it to the PC when I get back home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone