How to get the best from improved broadband?

Pineman100 14:07 11 Sep 2008

We're moving house in a few weeks, and our new home will be only a few hundred yards from the phone exchange.

I've checked on the forecast nominal broadband speed, and it's 6.5Mb as compared with my current 2Mb. Whoopee!

I'm currently using an XP desktop, fitted with a Belkin wireless adaptor, accessing the internet via a Belkin adsl modem/router. They use the 802.11g protocol.

At the new house, would I see any speed benefit if I were to upgrade to 802.11n equipment (ie: adaptor and router), or will 802.11g still have sufficient speed to accommodate my faster broadband connection?

Many thanks for any advice on this.

sean-278262 17:07 11 Sep 2008

click here

You shouldnt need to upgrade. We have Be 24mbit internet running around 16-18mbit most of the time and all of the equipment in the house runs on the G protocol. Another point to note would be that Be themselves provide a router that runs only on B and G interface.

Personally I would not change over as it would seem a needless expense unless you really use your own home network a lot for file swapping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?