How to format hd with no os on it?

MichelleC 12:04 25 Aug 2003

I've put in hd as master which has no os on. I want to put w2k on it, but have only got upgrade disc and it needs to verify another os 1st. I made boot disc with 98se (as I've got os disc too). Got to 'a' prompt, typed fdisk and it says 'No fixed disks present. Is it lying or am I missing something?

seedie 12:09 25 Aug 2003

unless you wish to partition the new disk, use floppy with system on it and boot to it and do FORMAT C:

Have you told BIOS about new disk?

jazzypop 12:28 25 Aug 2003

You ought to be able to insert the W2K CD, reboot, and it will handle any formatting and installation tasks for you. You should also be prompted to insert your W98 CD during the installation, to prove that you own a 'qualifying product'.

If that fails for any reason, you may need to fdisk then format the new drive. See click here for details.

Do check, as seedie says, that the BIOS recognises the new HDD - if not, carefully check the power and data cables to the HDD and mobo.

DieSse 12:37 25 Aug 2003

If Fdisk says "No fixed disks present" - then as above, you need to make sure the BIOS is recognising it.

The usual problem here is that the new drive is too large for the BIOS to find - can you give some details - drive size and model, motherboard make/type/general age, please.

MichelleC 14:48 25 Aug 2003

Wheyhey... I'm getting there.

Hd is Seagate - I didn't know it had to have a jumper (even as master!). Now bios sees it. Went thro fdisk - made primary dos partion for 'c', and extended partion with logical partion inside. It wouldn't format from boot floppy. Booted from w2k disc and had to put in 98 disc. It's formatting now.

Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?