How to Format a harddisk on Packard Bell?

foreverlfc 09:06 20 May 2009

I have a Packard Bell Machine and want to clean the harddisk totally by formating. I heard peope saying after harddisk being formatted, the propietary machine,in my case Parkard Bell, cannot reload all the programs with the origonal Recovery CD. In worst case, it cannot even start, is that true?

I really want to clean my computer totally and set it all up with the recovery CD, can anyone have any solutions?

Many thanks in advance!!

Graham. 09:27 20 May 2009

I would imagine the recovery disc will do just tha - restore to factory settings, including programs. Stick it in and see what it says.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 20 May 2009

DO not format anything!

Backup anything you need such as emails photos documents etc.

Just boot with the recovery CD in the drive and follow the prompts to restore your machine.

You will then have to reinstall any windows updates that have been issued since you got the machine.

foreverlfc 11:55 20 May 2009

Thanks guys,

Do you both think if the harddisk was formatted completly, the recovery CD will not be able to re-install all those default programs? In that case, my windows XP will not exist anymore after such operation?

I really want to clean up the harddisk as I think I might have been infected with something, it is so slow and switches off itself without any warning lately.

Cheers

Graham. 14:52 20 May 2009

You don't need to format, the recovery process will overwrite the hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:57 20 May 2009

"if the harddisk was formatted completly, the recovery CD will not be able to re-install all those default programs? In that case, my windows XP will not exist anymore after such operation?"

Yes!

"so slow and switches off itself without any warning"

This could be a number of things including a virus or malware i.e. faulty memory or a PSU failing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache