how to fit internal dvd rewritter

tropical 22:44 27 Mar 2006

bought today emprex dvd duel 16x and iv never opened my dell tower its a flat one not upright i thought it would plug into the usb but no i phoned the company but as the seal was broke on the box cannot take back.someone please help as iv no idea what a jumper is or what other leads i need as it only came with 1 small one,the instructions are useless.i cannot see how this can go internaly please help many thanks tropical

terryf 22:48 27 Mar 2006

First off try to google 'install internal dvd drive' and it is possible that you may find a web page with full instructions and pictures, or try 'fit' instead of install

Tim1964 00:00 28 Mar 2006

Does your PC have a CD Rom drive? Just swap them over like for like - set the jumpers the same and connect the leads the same as the CD Rom. and reboot. Windows will detect it as a new drive. The boot up screen (white writing on a black screen) will then show the name and model of the DVD drive. It may then ask for the drivers which would have come on CD with the drive.

ACOLYTE 00:56 28 Mar 2006

This may help a good guide click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 28 Mar 2006

How to install a front loading drive (with pictures)
click here

phono 18:29 28 Mar 2006

If you don't want to fit your drive internally or if you haven't got enough space in your case you could get one of these click here put the drive inside it and plug it into a USB port.

tropical 18:36 28 Mar 2006

thanks to all the e-mails you have been great.My trouble is i dont have a tower its a flat one also i dont have a usb port 2 only the slow ones its a dell comp but ment for a office not home.Im stuck as been told to buy new comp but no chance any more ideas gratefully accepted

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 28 Mar 2006

desktop or tower the procedure is exactly the same.

phono 18:45 28 Mar 2006

The device I posted the link to is backwards compatible with USB 1.1, it would probably be quite slow in use with 1.1 though.

If you are stuck with the drive and you don't have the room in the case you could always get one of those enclosures and a USB 2 card, just make sure you have a spare PCI slot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?