How to find TCP/IP address?

lightfeet 12:14 07 Aug 2007

I am trying to set up a print server to allow my son to wirelessly connect his printer to his new laptop running Vista. The server driver loads OK but when it comes to the TCP/IP Configuration screen it sets up its own default configuration & when I try to accept I receive the following notice –
“Server is in a different subnet from the connected computer. You are recommended to change the IP address to the same subnet. Otherwise the server may not be able to establish communication with your computer.”
The question is how do I obtain the computer’s IP address in Vista?

crosstrainer 12:19 07 Aug 2007

The settings you need are provided by your ISP, these are availabe from the website....Who is your prvider? Can then post link.

recap 12:29 07 Aug 2007

click here for a step-by-step guide on how to set up a wireless network.

Open a command Prompt and type the following:

ipconfig /all

This will give you all the information about your network.

bremner 12:33 07 Aug 2007

Do you have an existing home network through a switch or router?

lightfeet 13:06 07 Aug 2007

Thanks for your prompt replies.
My son's ISP is Vodaphone to whom he connects wirelessly via a router.
I have to go out now & won't be home until about midnight. I will look at the responses then. Thanks

lightfeet 13:16 07 Aug 2007

Sorry, I made a mistake with the ISP name that my son uses - It is ORANGE , not Vodaphone

bremner 16:13 07 Aug 2007

It will not matter at all what you ISP assigned IP address is.

You will connect to the IP addresses assigned by the router. These will normal be similar to 192.168.0.1 and the subnet will be 255.255.255.255.

It does not sound as if you have the system set up properly as my print server just picked up the network straight away.

Do as recap has said and run the ipconfig /all command and tell us what your DCHP assigned IP is and the subnet.

lightfeet 12:21 05 Sep 2007

Have now got everything running by setting the server to the IP Address indicated under the ipconfig /all command.
My thanks to you all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?