How to find RAM type

wrg 10:27 24 Feb 2008

How can I find the specific type of ram that I have. Have ran crucial scan and they could not match it.Looked on my computer and cannot find it. I have a HP Pavillion Entertainment Laptop DV6710ea. It currently has 2gb and I want to go to 4gb.

Thanks

rdave13 10:35 24 Feb 2008

Try PC Wizard; click here

Totally-braindead 10:38 24 Feb 2008

If this is yours click here then as with all laptops I have seen theres only 2 memory slots, therefore you would have to look and see if one is free. If it is you then buy a 2 gig module from Crucial from what they recommend and you're away. If both slots are full you would have to either remove one of them and add a 2 gig giving you 3 gig but this would mean you couldn't use dual channel memory option, or remove both and for 2 x 2 gig modules.

wrg 10:48 24 Feb 2008

rdave13. Thanks for that link, a good little program, it tells me I have the following ram.

DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300 (333 MHz) - [DDR2-666
Totally-braindead. Thanks for your response. There are 2 slots with 1gb in each, I want to remove both and add 2*2gb. Can I do this and will I still have dual channel memory>

Totally-braindead 11:05 24 Feb 2008

Can you do this - yes. Would you still have dual channel memory if you put in 2 x 2 gig - yes you would.

To use Dual Channel it has to have matching pairs which is what you propose buying.

I have to be honest here and say that if its XP you are running going from 2 gig to 4 gig probably won't be very noticeable for almost everything. If its Vista you have then I'm not sure if it will be really noticeable or not.

Do not do what some others have been doing recently and use the memory specs from Crucial and going elsewhere unless you know exactly what you are doing. Some seem to think that they only have to get the same type and speed of memory and all will be well and this is not the case. Theres all sorts of things that can make a difference, single or double sided chips, whether its ECC or not latency etc etc.

wrg 16:54 24 Feb 2008

Totally-braindead

Thanks for your response. I am running Vista Premium and have duo core. I am only thinking of upgrading as I thought it would make my laptop qicker, not that it that slow. So you think I may not see too much of a difference?

MaxUpload 17:32 24 Feb 2008

"....so the "Sweet Spot" for the full Vista experience is 4gb system RAM...."

click here

Totally-braindead 21:17 24 Feb 2008

The sweet spot may well be 4 gig but is adding another 2 gig really that noticeable. If its not that noticeable it seems to me to be a bit of a waste bearing in mind he has to remove the old RAM.

Its a lot of money to spend if it doesn't make a reasonable difference to the performance and I don't know if it would.

What are we talking about here? Would adding more RAM make everything run so much faster that you can actually see the difference or would it increase loading speeds by less than a second or whatever it might be?

Thats the question, I've no doubt adding another 2 gig would speed things up but if it only knocks fractions of a second off times its not really worth it considering the old RAM is then surplus to requirements.

I remember seeing articles on XP what adding more RAM does on XP on one PC and wonder if anyone has seen this on Vista.

Sheik Yerbouti 21:25 24 Feb 2008

Unless your Vista is 64 bit you won't see all 4GB anyway. You will only see about 3.25 I think I'm right in saying.

Totally-braindead 21:32 24 Feb 2008

I think he will see it all as I assume the laptop uses some of the system memory and therefore what you should see is 4 gig minus the amount you have assigned to your graphics.

If the graphics has its own memory and most don't then Sheik Yerbouti is right and you won't see the entire 4 gig.

I wonder if anyone on the Forum has Vista and has upgraded from 2 gig to 4 gig and if they can comment on whether its made any real difference in use?

Sheik Yerbouti 21:44 24 Feb 2008

click here

Totally-braindead, something to do with 32 bit systems only being able to address 4GB RAM Max.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?